Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

thanks for the help...i figured it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpywizardd

Hello,
I'm relatively new to electronics. I was recently tasked by my employer to create a circuit that would be able to move a motor. I set up a simple circuit with a switch and a battery connected to a motor. Now, I need to make the motor move 180 degrees then turn in the other direction and turn another 180 degrees and have that loop. Are there any motors that can move 180 degrees?

Last edited:
A standard DC motor cannot do what you wish for (Unless the DC motor has a gearbox). You can do it with a servo or a stepper motor. Though they both would need* a microcontroller to control them.

*Could possibly be done using other** options.
** More components.

A standard DC motor cannot do what you wish for (Unless the DC motor has a gearbox). You can do it with a servo or a stepper motor. Though they both would need* a microcontroller to control them.

*Could possibly be done using other** options.
** More components.
Is it possible to have one switch move the DC motor forward, and another backward?

Last edited:
Is it possible to have one switch move the DC motor forward, and another backward? If so, how?

Yes. With a reversible DC motor a single DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) switch can be used. Preferably On-Off-On with the center position off. The circuit would look a little like the below drawing:

Motor Reverse Switch.png

That is merely an example of reversing polarity to a motor. that's all it is. Motor current needs considered, a real circuit would be fused and other details worked out. The switch would need to be rated for the full motor current.

As to servo and stepper motors I suggest you do some reading on both types and once you understand them ask questions that are motor specific. As HouseOfWax mentions either servo or stepper will need some form of control. Even reversing a simple DC motor beyond manually needs some form of control.

Ron

Thanks guys.

Like I said, I'm completely new in this field of technology.

What I want to do specifically is have a motor spin so that it moves something attached to it from fully upright to fully down, so around 180 degrees. I will look into a servo. I also want it to be completely autonomous. I wish to be able to press a button then have it do the up,down,up, etc moving on its own until i turn the switch off. What kind of programmable technology would i need?

I've been researching this for a bit and its hard to know exactly what to search for, especially for someone unexperienced like me. Thanks.

Last edited:
180 degrees ...At what speed ? There would be lots of forces in play, mechanical and electrical with reversing motor polarity , why not try some clever gearing and keeping motor in one direction....

Thanks guys.

Like I said, I'm completely new in this field of technology.

What I want to do specifically is have a motor spin so that it moves something attached to it from fully upright to fully down, so around 180 degrees. Specifically, sort of like a bird's wings during flying for comparison. I will look into a servo. I also want it to be completely autonomous. How would I go about that? I wish to be able to press a button then have it do the up,down,up, etc moving on its own until i turn the switch off. What kind of programmable technology would i need? Or any other suggestions?

I've been researching this for a bit and its hard to know exactly what to search for, especially for someone unexperienced like me. Thanks.

So you want a motor to run something up and down over and over again. That is what I am reading. You will need to be more specific and detailed. Real simple, you run a motor with limit switches on whatever you want to move be it up and down or back and forth. Chicken coup doors go up and down as well as garage doors but they don't use the same motor even though they both open and close. I can appreciate that you are out of your comfort zone with this sort of project but without details it is just about impossible to give you any good advice. I guess we could say a birds wing goes up and down or rotates 180 degrees, some birds maybe more and some less but if I want to do that I need to know what the wing weighs (the birds already know how much force is required I don't). How fast should something go up and down? What should the transition time be for 180 degrees of rotation? Knowing everything tells the design which motor to use and how to control it. Automation can't happen unless every detail is known.

Ron

What is wrong with a simple "crank - slider mechanism" ?
Just like the piston - connecting rod - crankshaft in an internal combustion engine.

This seems to be an easy mechanical problem, not a complex (not really) electrical one.

If you defined the problem EXACTLY, not just
sort of like a bird's wings during flying
it would be much easier to suggest a solution.

JimB

Picture yourself lying on your stomach and sticking your arms out.
I would rather not! :eek:

How big is this dragon intended to be?

JimB

For a flapping effect, the motor could rotate continuosly and the reversal could be done with a mechanical cam.
Have a look at this link (Scroll down to the second article for a visual demonstration);
**broken link removed**

I can tell you how I would go about it. Assuming the wings are light enough I would use a small servo motor like those I linked to. Well I just saw your dimensions, not quite tiny. The small motors I linked to should handle it. As to driving it and making it work? I would use a small 8 pin micro controller, a simple PICAXE Micro Controller would work fine. That again is how I would go about this and no, I won't work out the mechanics. What you are getting into is some very basic robotics and any robotics website should have something along the lines of what you want. Again, just my opinion as to how to make wings flap I would use a servo motor and a small micro controller to drive it.

Ron

Just find a windscreen wiper motor, which already has the gearbox built in. They do the back and forth bit already. Most use a linkage and run the motor in the same direction all the time. A lot of the motors for rear wipers for cars have a swing of near 180°

How would you connect the controller to the servo? do you need a special circuit or a receiver or something along those lines?

Later today I'll post a simple picture or two.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back