Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to use IC 555 for all MOSFET switches of power supply?

electronium

Greetings to the colleagues of the forum
I have always thought that I can start and use all MOSFETs of switching power supplies with IC 555. Is it possible? Because IC 555 is, as we say, the French Wrench of ICs, can it be used as a module for all power sources that require a MOSFET gate and feedback?

Last edited:
If you want to properly drive a MOSFET in a switching power supply
a 555 would not be the best of choices. Reason is MOSFET gate C
presents challenges, Trise, Tfall not optimum, so MOSFET spends
more time in active region, heats up.....

Your ask here is quite vague in its description, can you clarify what
power supplies you are trying to create, their characteristics ?

Regards, Dana.

Indeed, it appears that the actual meaning of the question is lost in the translation.

Having said this, I do have seen low cost, low power supplies using a 555. But that was back in the early 1990s. The driven Mosfet was quite small, the frequency only about 25 Khz. Under those circumstances it was an acceptable, but not optimal solution.
Nowadays I don’t think anyone would use a 555. Although it can produce a PWM waveform, the duty cycle range is limited, it doesn’t have an integrated reference, and lacks integrated protection features like UVLO and current sense. Even the ancient SG3524 is better suited than a 555.

Indeed, it appears that the actual meaning of the question is lost in the translation.

Having said this, I do have seen low cost, low power supplies using a 555. But that was back in the early 1990s. The driven Mosfet was quite small, the frequency only about 25 Khz. Under those circumstances it was an acceptable, but not optimal solution.
Nowadays I don’t think anyone would use a 555. Although it can produce a PWM waveform, the duty cycle range is limited, it doesn’t have an integrated reference, and lacks integrated protection features like UVLO and current sense. Even the ancient SG3524 is better suited than a 555.
The 555 was never intended for use in that way, and was always a really bad choice - you would struggle finding anything worse?.

The point of view is that most of the time the power IC and the MOSFET starter IC burn in the power supply and there is no trace of it until it is diagnosed. pcb so that we can use it for all switching power circuits that have pwm by changing the potentiometer, however, if you know a circuit, let me know so that I can do this in the best way.

Greetings to the colleagues of the forum
I have always thought that I can start and use all MOSFETs of switching power supplies with IC 555. Is it possible? Because IC 555 is, as we say, the French Wrench of ICs, can it be used as a module for all power sources that require a MOSFET gate and feedback?

No.

Because IC 555 is, as we say, the French Wrench of ICs
It may be for timing circuits but, as noted, it's ill suited to PWM switcher power supply applications.
A dedicated switching power supply IC is best for that purpose.

Latest threads

Back