Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SSB Carrier Supression

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that his 5 watt SSB signal was picked up by aliens and they came and abducted him to find out all about our radio technology. They then plan on using it against us, should we be worried?

Lefty
WA6TKD

No, their alien biochemistry disrupted when they keyed the mike and were bombarded with extremely high SWR radiation...

Insert Batmans narrator voice here...

Could this be the last of the SV?
Has he sewn his final thread, or has his final amp sewn his outcome?
Has his devotion to the darlington duo slowed his thinking?
Will the final heat seal his fate?
Will the dynamic duo be his end?
Or will he find the common ground to stand and fight?
Stay tuned... Same SV time, same SV channel... :)

Don't take this personal SV, I am just goofing around...

Last edited:
Ahhh Mike, it's posts like that that make these forums fun to come to =)

His saga of building a transmitter and receiver has been the most interesting thread in the forum, for me.
He is a passionate self-taught semi-professional technician-designer who is constantly being criticized by intellectuals.
He fought back. I hope the ban is a short one and he can continue this thread. There is good and bad info here.
It is a good thread.

His saga of building a transmitter and receiver has been the most interesting thread in the forum, for me.
He is a passionate self-taught semi-professional technician-designer who is constantly being criticized by intellectuals.
He fought back. I hope the ban is a short one and he can continue this thread.

As is clear from his status, he isn't, and hasn't been, banned.

He also hasn't been critised by 'intellectuals', merely by engineers who know about circuit design - which he obviously doesnt?. Notice that's there's not one single post in any of his threads that agrees with any of his perculiar 'design' practices and ideas of how things work.

I thought his use of cat food cans as a shielded enclosure was brilliant.

Nigel Goodwin:
"Notice that's there's not one single post in any of his threads that agrees with any of his perculiar 'design' practices and ideas of how things work."

But that is the key to make an origional design, and to distinguish your design from the rest of the pack. If we all stuck to the same well known and tested design it would be like re-inventing the wheel over and over again. If he want's to recycle cat food cans to test a new radio design, so be it. I know what he is 'trying' to achieve. He wants to Tx/Rx an SSB signal the furthest distance possible with the least amount of electrical energy. Keep trying buddy! The goal you are trying to achieve is something important. We all know about this global warming buisness (even though you think it is all bullsh!t), therefore energy efficiency in computers, radios etc. should be high on the list of things to do when making a new design.

My 2 cents ;)

Altoid or <insert your favorite mint here> tins are all the rage nowdays for small projects.

Hi Johnny (Wasssup),
The recordings of the Space Vomit's SSB "radio" sounded like ducks quacking.
His transmitted voice sounded like a cow.
He made a barn yard.

He claims to be communicating around the world by radio when everybody else uses a telephone or the internet.

Hi John (Audioguru),
That's true, but I like the idea of not always having to rely on someone else to provide conectivities such as telephone and the internet. You are pretty much free when you create your own radio, but you need a license. I think along the same lines with regards to electric power. I would very much like to have solar panels on my roof, and not rely on other people to provide it. I know how to make water out of thin air (accelerated condensation) and Victoria's water reserves are very low, so I would have to say that becomming self sufficient with water is a very good idea down here. Hey up there could you pass down some water!? Queensland is bloated with water, they have bad flooding, but the distance from Queensland to Victoria is a huge distance to pipe the water. I'm guessing billions of dollars.

wassup, have you ever heard of hand held wide band transceivers? Why make your own crappy radio when you can use a professionally developed piece of hardware. Even home built radio's require mass produced parts. Solar cells aren't as environmentally friendly as you might think, the production process is a huge waste creator.

It simply amazes me that a thread that was started about SSB carrier suppresion has degenerated into this drivel.

I made a Single Sideband transmitter and receiver one time and it sounded perfect.
The bandwidth was plenty.
The distortion was extremely low.
The noise was zero.

I used a modern (38 years old) balanced modulator IC, not a bunch of unmatched old transistors and diodes.
I used negative feedback in my audio circuits for extremely low distortion, not the 40% or more distortion from transistors without any negative feedback.
I did not attenuate the signal with voltage divider resistors, instead I used only as much gain as was necessary so the noise was zero.

Sceadwian:
"wassup, have you ever heard of hand held wide band transceivers? Why make your own crappy radio when you can use a professionally developed piece of hardware."
Hey! Some people treat it as a hobby.

"Solar cells aren't as environmentally friendly as you might think, the production process is a huge waste creator."
Yes, well they probably don't show their advantages in the short-run, but they do in the long run. As time goes by I'm sure the technology will get better.

Moving on...

Nigel Goodwin:
"Notice that's there's not one single post in any of his threads that agrees with any of his perculiar 'design' practices and ideas of how things work."

But that is the key to make an origional design, and to distinguish your design from the rest of the pack. If we all stuck to the same well known and tested design it would be like re-inventing the wheel over and over again. If he want's to recycle cat food cans to test a new radio design, so be it. I know what he is 'trying' to achieve. He wants to Tx/Rx an SSB signal the furthest distance possible with the least amount of electrical energy. Keep trying buddy! The goal you are trying to achieve is something important. We all know about this global warming buisness (even though you think it is all bullsh!t), therefore energy efficiency in computers, radios etc. should be high on the list of things to do when making a new design.

My 2 cents ;)

Well here's the thing was, or up. Many of SV's posted circuits had blatent design no no's. These errors were politely pointed out to SV, but instead of SV taking the advice and use it as a learning tool, he would lash out with something like, "you don't know what your talking about, I been building radio's for blah blah blah." I don't think he even ponders the suggestions, rather he just dismisses without consideration.

At this point one can only raise their arms in frustration and think, well good luck, and whatever dude. He does not take critisism gratiously and responds with insults.

At some point, people develop a cynical attitude towards such an individual. Just look at his responses on Aaroncake towards others. Actions like Until you do this you don't know squat, final, thats it so shutup.

Poor response, poor argument, and the sign his argument has lost its foothold and can only be supported by playing playground bully.

So make a square wheel if you wish, I will stick with proven working methods and leave the new frontiers to the scientist, or more qualified than I.

Well put, but I stick up for Space Vomit because he's my buddy. Same with audioguru.

"So make a square wheel if you wish, I will stick with proven working methods and leave the new frontiers to the scientist, or more qualified than I."
As a matter of fact I consider myself to be scientist/physicist, since I involve myself in things other than electronics too. If you go back to Aaron's forum you'll see I am working on a physics simulator. I don't mean to boast, but people at my University think I am a quote "Genius"... ;) LOL!

Well put, but I stick up for Space Vomit because he's my buddy. Same with audioguru.

"So make a square wheel if you wish, I will stick with proven working methods and leave the new frontiers to the scientist, or more qualified than I."
As a matter of fact I consider myself to be scientist/physicist, since I involve myself in things other than electronics too. If you go back to Aaron's forum you'll see I am working on a physics simulator. I don't mean to boast, but people at my University think I am a quote "Genius"... ;) LOL!

Did you call your buddy Space Vomit? Is this some sort of endearing term?

I have nothing against SV, and he seems like a nice fellow (a bit eccentric maybe), only thing is he should not close himself to suggestions.

As far as the square wheel comment, I was meaning that his new ideas have already been tested and do not work properly such as a RF Darlington. He was given links that prove this to be so, yet he claimed the contrary. The square wheel comment was not really directed at you, sorry if it seemed so...

I have an analogy; Iron bolts were discovered long ago to not be well suited on the bottom hulls of a sea going vessel, yet SV will claim Iron bolts coated with WD-40 will work just fine... Get my meaning?

I have came out and told SV all these things that I say now, he disregarded them and was insulted, so I gave up.

I actually tried to help SV acclimate to this forum when he was having trouble, he was given a bad rating and I boosted his rating. So what I am saying is this. I think he is really a nice fellow with a lot of pride, and pride often prevents one from reacting toward others in a proper way. He should swallow his pride, be more open, and perhaps he may learn a thing or two in the process as well as make a few online buddies. :)

Agreed.

Hey the "Space Vomit" name is just a joke. When I first looked at his username over here I thought I saw "Space Vomit". He isn't vomit. He knows I am just playing with him. He's done it to me on one of my threads, the little...

LOL! :)

Maybe he did forget his name... and password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back