Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Slug fence

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,
The botanists/gardeners are forecasting a 'stampede' of snails/slugs as soon as the weather warms after the mild winter and long cool Spring.
Normally they say, most of the eggs die, due to the cold winter weather, which this winter did not happen.

So ramp up the fence voltage.:woot:
Snails.gif

Eric

Hi Eric,
I'll listen out for the 'stampede'
C.

hi,
The botanists/gardeners are forecasting a 'stampede' of snails/slugs as soon as the weather warms after the mild winter and long cool Spring.
Normally they say, most of the eggs die, due to the cold winter weather, which this winter did not happen.

So ramp up the fence voltage.:woot:
Snails.gif

Eric

Last edited:
Hi Eric,
I've found one of the type living here in both sections, so as well as an optical recognition system, I'll need a questionnaire:)
C.

hi,
Its important to realise that not all slugs eat live plants, the ones that eat only dead plant material are beneficial to the garden.
So your electric fence should have optical image recognition capability, to only zap the baddies.!!!! ;)

Good guys!:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...rv7LXMAhWUF8AKHRgSBNsQsAQIIw&biw=1424&bih=926

Bad guys!:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...SI7bXMAhUnJ8AKHWNuBM8QsAQINw&biw=1424&bih=926

Fair enough, theres going to be some collateral damage, however good to see your not unnecessarily trigger happy.
There are newts and slow worms at work, I havent told anyone to protect them.
Nothing worse than tending to your veg and some bloomin critters etten em all.

It'd be a fair thing to recognize baddies, I beleive someone at some university has built a system that recognizes birds.

Hey Eric it wouldnt be stampede, it'd be a slimepede, I'd better get some parts ready for ours then before the mrs starts nagging.

Yes there is, Cat poo!

Fair enough, theres going to be some collateral damage, however good to see your not unnecessarily trigger happy.
There are newts and slow worms at work, I havent told anyone to protect them.
Nothing worse than tending to your veg and some bloomin critters etten em all.

It'd be a fair thing to recognize baddies, I beleive someone at some university has built a system that recognizes birds.

Hey Eric it wouldnt be stampede, it'd be a slimepede, I'd better get some parts ready for ours then before the mrs starts nagging.

I have ways of scaring cats away too.

snails and slugs are molluscs, they are killed by copper and its compounds, you should need a voltage, most slugs and snails wont crawl over copper for too long thats why you can get snail tape in garden centers, its just copper tape.

Forgot to add you often here the tape dosnt work, but this is mostly because numpties dont realize the tape has a thin clear plastic layer on both sides of the tape you need to take off!

Last edited:
Tastes very sweet to them in a bowl of water (to start with anyway) also works with Rats but rats is best given gypsum board to chew on ;). In the UK its illegal to put antifreeze in a bowl of water if animals can get to it, but it used to go on alot on farms apparently..................As for Rats the gypsum is highly Alkaline but they like the taste, they cant naturally pass wind and it gives them the F@@@s! Not a nice way to go but then again people dont always see the damage rats can do to young birds etc, they are a bit like fox's and kill way beyond the need for food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back