Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

jacobs ladder mk3 electric fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaztric

Hi

New member so go easy on me please.

I am wondering if a jacobs ladder from the electronic shop could serve as a electric fence?

I have never built one and dont know the specs.That probably wouldn't help me anyway if I did know the specs. Maybe someone could fill me in?

I could buy a energizer of ebay for electric fence but i'm concerned they might have to much kick because I want to use the electric fence for keeping my chickens from jumping the fence.And cats at bay.

Pluss id like to build a mouse trap with the jaccobs ladder before i use it for an electric fence.

Sorry sure this post could of been worded better.
I'm not to good at typing and grammar.

So do you think the Jacobs ladder could be universal and used in a trap to give the mice a tickle or kill them.(we have a mouse plague here)

And good enough to use to not kill the chickens or kill a cat just to give them a warning?

cheers

A Jacobs Ladder produces enough current at a very high voltage to draw an arc that will grow up the ladder to an inch (~25mm) or more. That's very likely to kill a chicken or cat. Don't use that for an electric fence.

Most electric fences are powered by a circuit that generates a short high voltage pulse at a low current. They're not normally deadly to livestock or small animals. You are far better off looking for a circuit purpose built for use with an electric fence.

An experimenter kit that I used many years ago used an audio transformer, similar to those used in transistor radios, together with an oscillator that would output a pulse a few times each second. It was not deadly but would give a good sting to anyone touching the two leads. That's a far better route to take for an electric fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back