Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple 555 LED Circuit Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NGBEnt

Hey guys,

I am fairly experienced with electronics and out-of-PCB circuitry, but when it comes to schematics and creating the circuit; I am lost.

I am trying to make a simple 555 timer circuit powered by a 9V battery. I am looking to create an astable circuit, and I have a schematic. It is attached. I am unsure if this is one I want, and I am also unsure of the parts I need.

I know I need a few resistors, a capacitor or two, and possible other components. This is where I am lost. I am not sure about the level of resistance and capacitance for my resistors and capacitors, respectively, and I am quite clueless as to where to place everything. I am hoping to try and use a PCB, and I have an unprinted one from my supplies.

Also, do companies make custom PCB's for simple circuits like this for a small price, or do I have to order in bulk?

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
There's no attached schematic.

There are many websites that sell basic kits. Do a google search for 555 frequency generator kit.

change componet values

C1 should be an electrolitic capacitor so a componet change is required (electrolytic isn't available)
suggested values for a 1khz output=
R1 = 10K
R2= 715K
C1 = 1uf
total equals a 1khz square wave with 50% duty cycle

LED Flasher

Hi There,
I've done a Led Flasher thing, here goes
not that the Previous threads were not right.. here's my bit

Make R1 4k7
R2 10k
C1 in pins one+two a 100uf electrolitic cap
on the out put put a 4.7uf electrolitc cap, and on the end of that capacitor I use a 100ohm resisitor..
with the above equation the Led should Flash 1hz exactly.
HTH
vortex.2009
:)

suggested values for a 1khz output=
R1 = 10K
R2= 715K
C1 = 1uf
715k is a precision resistor value (<1%), what's the point when the capacitor will have a tolerance of 10% or greater?

total equals a 1khz square wave with 50% duty cycle

It charges C1 through R1 and R2 but discharges through R2, the duty cycle may be close to 50% as R1 is small compared to R2 but it isnt 50%.
You could make both resistors the same value and put a didode across R2 to get closer to 50% if you wanted.

One additional suggestion, take pin 3 of the 555 to the clock input of a J/K flip flop. The output of the flip flop will be a clean square wave and not a saw tooth.

Just my 2-cents worth...

Good luck.
Geno

saw tooth

Hi there,

Yes quite right on the sawtooth, bit.. I made a weird sound generator using the Timer chip, and first I done a astable osc) the frequency was about 6khz, and I put a Pot control into a unsual configuration.. and it sweeps the sound up.. BUT the first project^^^ with this device above, I hooked up a second timer in monostable mode.. fed the signal from the monostable from pin two.. to out out of the first astable & from pin 3 on the mono, pin 2 I put on the other part of the out put.. which gave a rising buzzzing..

And do you know I actualy dont know how the mono part works!!! at all but I got the desired sound effect.. YEs its a complex circuit.. but came to light by trial & error... is that cool??
:)

error

Hi there,
I apologise, the previous post.. was not related to the chap who wanted a Led Flasher soz about this

regards
vortex2009
:rolleyes:

Hey guys,

I am fairly experienced with electronics and out-of-PCB circuitry, but when it comes to schematics and creating the circuit; I am lost.

I am trying to make a simple 555 timer circuit powered by a 9V battery. I am looking to create an astable circuit, and I have a schematic. It is attached. I am unsure if this is one I want, and I am also unsure of the parts I need.

I know I need a few resistors, a capacitor or two, and possible other components. This is where I am lost. I am not sure about the level of resistance and capacitance for my resistors and capacitors, respectively, and I am quite clueless as to where to place everything. I am hoping to try and use a PCB, and I have an unprinted one from my supplies.

Also, do companies make custom PCB's for simple circuits like this for a small price, or do I have to order in bulk?

**broken link removed**

Hi
I found a neat application for creating 555 circuits.It can be downloaded for free.
**broken link removed**
Mark

**broken link removed**

This link has excellent tips, theory and diagrams on 555 with calculators etc.

Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back