Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

resistor body color identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

R101 is 54100 Ohms 1%. Probably referred to as 54.1k or 54k1

R633 and R613 are 0.12 Ohms, 5%. Maybe referred to as 0R12

I'm not sure about those as the black band doesn't seem to work as a number at either end of the colours. At the start it would mean 0, which is pointless, as a different multiplier is uses. At the end, there is no accuracy corresponding to black.

I have seen 0 Ohm links that are made like resistors so that automatic machines can insert them like resistors, and they have a single black band.

o_O Your post titled "resistor body color identification " corresponds in the images to pale pink !!! and depending on the manufacturer, denotes something very unknown by many ! Sometimes fire resistance, chemistry, tolerances, composition or whatever they want it to be.
Other resistor brands bodies are beige, (as in image of post #2), light blue, light grey, dark brown... body color. Bands color is not body color.

1605221363866.png
1605221405807.png
1605221437620.png
1605221530573.png
1605221564432.png
1605221876783.png
1605221895211.png

Last edited:
Based on picture, I tend to agree that R101 starts with 54. The gap between the left brown band and the left red band is bigger than the gaps between the green and yellow bands. That designated the left brown band as the 5th band, indicating tolerance. Now, it could be a bad vendor's coloring/spacing of those bands, but the gaps determine the order in which to read the resistor, not the way it looks left to right in the picture.
Even R633 is a bad banding of the resistor, the only way one can tell is because of the silver/gold bands, else it would be a tossup which way to read it.

Based on:
I get 54.1k Ohms 0.5% (green tolerance is 0.5%) for R101
For R633, I agree with 0.12 ohms, with the black band indicating some type of temperature coefficient.

A lot of confusion happens when vendors don't do a good job of following proper band spacing.

If you are going to start reading from the green end, then the green isn't the tolerance band. And starting from the green end, one would read 541, and that is not a standard value (542 is a standard).

If you are going to start reading from the green end, then the green isn't the tolerance band. And starting from the green end, one would read 541, and that is not a standard value (542 is a standard).
Yup, my mistake. The brown would have been my tolerance. An 542 as an E192 standard value makes sense. I guess the band spacing is what makes this all a "mess", it is not consistent with "standards" for band spacing

Yup, my mistake. The brown would have been my tolerance. An 542 as an E192 standard value makes sense. I guess the band spacing is what makes this all a "mess", it is not consistent with "standards" for band spacing
That's why we all need to own an Ohmmeter. :)

The cheap little component tester kits from China are even better :D

Modern resistors are a nightmare to try and read - if nothing else the colours aren't very clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back