Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reputation Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroMaster

Administrator
Hi,

We have numerous questions about the red or green squares which displays next to your username/avatar in each post.

Reputation Levels

-1 Bad
0+ Newbie
50+ Showing Promise
100+ Okay
500+ Good
5000+ Excellent

Questions and Answers

Why does someone have red squares?
You can give positive or negative feedback on each post and if the user has more negative feedback than positive then that user will display red squares.

Why does my rep increase at different rates?
When a member gives you reputation, the amount that you will receive is based the amount of reputation they have. So if a user gives reputation that has alot already, then your rep will go up much higher than someone with low reputation.

Why don't you use names like "Experience Circuit Builder", or "Electronics Guru"?
We tried this, and unfortunately it didn't work. The reputation system is not an accurate measure of someone technical ability, it's more a gauge of how helpful a user has been in the past. Newer members were mislead and is why we now have more generic terms.

What's the difference between using the add reputation star and clicking +/-?
The star allows you to write a comment and give either a positive or negative vote toward the member. This vote passes reputation which ever way you voted. The +/- is slightly different and it is more focused toward showing a post's value within the thread, and not so much on giving reputation. For this reason, reputation is only given on a + vote (not a - vote) and is only a fraction of what the star would have given.

Note: I'll add to this post as time goes on.

Last edited:
Nice explaination :)

Can I assume you've tweaked it slightly as I was on "excellent" the other day and have gone "down" to good ?

My rep points have remained the same but the description has changed.

Why does someone have red squares?
You can give positive or negative feedback on each post and if the user has more negative feedback than positive then that user will display red squares.

A short time ago, the +1 and -1 feature (lower right-hand corner)was changed so that +1 gave points, but -1 did not deduct any points.

Has that now been changed again?

John

Nice explaination :)

Can I assume you've tweaked it slightly as I was on "excellent" the other day and have gone "down" to good ?

My rep points have remained the same but the description has changed.

Yes, you are correct, the 'Excellent' has been re-adjusted so that only a small percentage of members have it.

A short time ago, the +1 and -1 feature (lower right-hand corner)was changed so that +1 gave points, but -1 did not deduct any points.

Has that now been changed again?

John

It's still the same. Good question though. I added the full answer to the first post :)

Can you re-explain the reputation? as per new site change?
may I suggest that the reputation bar makes the newbie members and others to post more? I have even sat down for hours and hours on a forum to improve my rating, because the progress in the rating bar can be "seen" like a progress bar with regular update. You might have seen this forum, will you do something like that?

Now that the system has changed again I wonder if this should be updated? No rush, just wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back