Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

+1 Reputation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
Hi EM and/or Moderators.

I have a question about the (fairly) new +1/-1 feature on the individual posts. I was wondering if they're supposed to have any effect on the actual reputation of the user, or if it just acts as a simple "Thank you" button? It seems that any time I give a +1 or -1 to a member, it doesn't seem to have any impact on their reputation at all. Likewise, if I receive a +1 or -1, I do not see my reputation point number change at all. Is this the intent?

Thanks. I'm just trying to get used to these new features :D

Best wishes,
Der Strom

It's mostly just a 'thank you' button, if you like a posts content you +1 it, that way other users know what the more valuable posts in the thread are from the opinion of other members.

Whether it's the '+' button or the 'add to user's reputation' button the feature is too open to abuse. Someone on an ego trip can easily get all their Facebook Friends to register on this site and press the button to boost their status :D

alec_t said:
Whether it's the '+' button or the 'add to user's reputation' button the feature is too open to abuse.

You can't abuse something that means nothing, neither feature grants benefits of any kind that would be possible to abuse. The +1 is simply something someone does to indicate the post might be worth giving some credit to. To date no one has abused the reputation system that I'm aware of, and even if one did all it would take is a simple edit from an admin to fix.

Hi Guys,

At the start we only gave 10% of rep out for a +1 to see how it worked. I'm pretty happy with how things are going so have now increased this to 100%. So, if you give a +1 to indicate that a was a good they will get rep. If you give a -1 one it doesn't remove rep. If a post has -3 or lower the post will be hidden from view.

Regards,
EM

Hi Guys,

At the start we only gave 10% of rep out for a +1 to see how it worked. I'm pretty happy with how things are going so have now increased this to 100%. So, if you give a +1 to indicate that a was a good they will get rep. If you give a -1 one it doesn't remove rep. If a post has -3 or lower the post will be hidden from view.

Regards,
EM

Wow, ok. Thanks for the answers guys. I've been wondering about that for a while now :p:D

Regards

@ ElectroMaster,
'Repute' button, one at the bottom-left of every post has a limitation. You can't repute the same person again and again. But in the case of +1/-1 feature, same person can get multiple reputation from the same user(for various posts of his). 2 friends can keep adding reputation among themselves, and that increases their reputation, i've seen some of them like that.

Does adding reputation reduce my point/reputation?

@ ElectroMaster,
'Repute' button, one at the bottom-left of every post has a limitation. You can't repute the same person again and again. But in the case of +1/-1 feature, same person can get multiple reputation from the same user(for various posts of his). 2 friends can keep adding reputation among themselves, and that increases their reputation, i've seen some of them like that.

It can be somewhat abused like that, but keep in mind that you can only pass on a portion of your own rep. If you don't have much rep you wont give much rep. So if two people with little rep try to beat the system they will be their for some time..

Does adding reputation reduce my point/reputation?

No. Giving someone else rep adds to theirs rep only, it does not affect your own. To get rep yourself you must recieve it from other members by creating well written and helpful posts :)

Regards,
EM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back