Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Negative Reputation: Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
In reviewing new posts this morning, I noticed a negative reputation given to an individual for what seemed a most innocuous post. In fact, I thought his post was as practical and helpful as any other in that thread.

Any reputation system can be abused. Abuse of positive reputation awards is harmless. However, the same cannot be said about negative awards. Presumably good reputation is intended to encourage constructive posts. Likewise, bad reputation should be to discourage disruptive posts and to encourage improvement. Unfortunately, as the system currently stands, bad reputation can be given anonymously and without giving a reason. What purpose is served by a warning or penalty, if you don't know why it was given?

I suggest that negative reputations should be reserved for clear violations of forum rules. Moreover, since negative reputation is in effect a penalty or warning, I think that member actions related to such should be limited simply to reporting the post. That is, any actual deduction of points or warning should be made only at the discretion of a moderator or the administrator, and a clear explanation should be given to the member in each case.

Regards, John

Remember negative votes DO NOT adjust the user reputation, they ONLY adjust the post rating.

I think that only a fraction of members would try to abuse the system by giving unfair -1's, and if it happened it's very easy for any other member can over-through the -1 by a +1. So really, yes it's easy to abuse but even easier to counter it. If you see a post that doesn't deserve a negative rating simply click the +1.

If there is a serious offence then I can look them up. No problem.

Regards,
EM

its funny how some little squares seem to matter so much!! maybe when i get a few more i will understand :D

its funny how some little squares seem to matter so much!! maybe when i get a few more i will understand :D

I'll entrust you with a couple, provided you keep working hard. You've been a great addition to chat and are eager to learn--a great student. Keep it up! ;)

Back to the matter at hand, a -1 is really no big deal. the badge, on the other hand, removes reputation, and should be reserved for violations and other serious matters. I agree with that part.

Regards,
Der Strom

Last edited:
There you go Ghostman, you get my vote =)

thank you for the squares!! ok i see now why people worry about them :D

I don't think anyone really worries, no one wants to find out that people don't like them though =>

thank you for the squares!! ok i see now why people worry about them :D

They have a way of taking over one's mind if he or she isn't careful and responsible. Reminds me a bit of Lord Of The Rings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Iz-8CSa9xj8

I don't think anyone really worries, no one wants to find out that people don't like them though =>

Yup. It's no fun to see a green bar go away. That usually means you've done something wrong. At least the site requires someone to leave a comment if they take away someone else's rep. It can help you find where you went wrong, so that you won't make the same mistake again. However, if you do your best to help others and to be a good member, you won't have to worry about losing any rep ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back