Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

register &latch

Status
Not open for further replies.
A register stores data, presented at its inputs, on the rising or falling edge of a clock input. A latch allows its internal data to be modified by data presented at its inputs until a latch control signal is asserted, at which time the latch's internal data is latched and remains unchanged regardless of the data presented at its inputs.

That would be my long answer, my short answer is: latches store data when a latch signal is raised, registers store data on clock signals.

Hope that helps

David

a latch is a type of a bistable logic device or multivibrator. it "latches on" to a specific logic level by a process known as regenerative feedback provided the latch is continuously provided power for operation. While a register is a combination of flip flops. a register is an array of storage devices (flip flops). an 8-bit register has 8 flip flops and can store a single byte. the difference between a latch and a flip flop is in the mechanism used for changing their state. a flip flop is a synchrounous bistable multivibrator i.e. the changing of its state is accompanied with a clock sync. whereas this is not the case with a latch. flip flops are edge-triggered devices. they can either be triggered at the rising edge of the clock or the falling edge of the clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back