Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about 24vct Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dak12deg

I needed a 24v transformer for a project. I bought a Triad 24vct transformer. It is 12-0-12. My queston is how do I get 24v? I know the center wire is the netrual and each other is 12v. Do I join the two outer wires to get the 24v?

Make a video of you short-circuiting your transformer by connecting together two of its output wires so we can see it being destroyed.
You should not do anything electrical since you don't know the basics of electricity.

Diver300
Thank you for the reply.

I had a circuit that shows the two output wire from the transformer going to the two ac terminals of a bridge rectifier to change to DC. The reason I asked the question is because the drawing I had shows that one lead coming off the bridge Rectifier shows 24v and 0v but I get 12v off each lead. How can you explain this?

Last edited:
What you have should resemble the attached. The CT on the transformer is unused feeding 24 VAC RMS to the bridge. The output of the bridge has 24 VDC with a (+) Positive and (-) Negative. If you measure the DC level between plus and negative you will have +12 volts with respect to the common negative of 0 volts.

The reason I asked the question is because the drawing I had shows that one lead coming off the bridge Rectifier shows 24v and 0v but I get 12v off each lead. How can you explain this?

Where are you placing the common lead of your meter? Possibly on the CT of your transformer?

Hope that helps.

Ron

Attachments

• 24 VAC CT Trans.gif
    24 VAC CT Trans.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,212
Last edited:
Reloadron, Thank you for your reply. That is exactly what I have. And I checked it with the multimeter and it read 24.6 so I'm looking good to proceed. Thanks again.

No problem. However if this is a power supply in the works and you add a filter capacitor to your DC output with the output unloaded and a cap out there you will see greater than 24 VDC. The capacitor will want to charge to Epk (Voltage Peak) so in this case 24.6 times 1.414 or about 33.9 volts. This is normal and will drop under a load.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back