Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pulse Witdth Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screech

a few questions:

Do multimeters have this function?
I've noticed many multimeters have the Hz. funtion.
Do the ones with Hz function also do the duty function?

But Pulse Width?
I really nead a pulse width meter with a resolution of less then 1 millisecond.

I made a pulse width meter out of my computer, but it's not portable.
unless it's a laptop one. :?

Thanks

You could easily do it with a PIC and LCD display, even a BASIC STAMP would do - it has a pulse measuring command.

For a simple analogue meter, just average the pulses using a lowpass filter and feed a meter - it's basically a PWM signal, which is commonly used to provide a variable DC voltage from a micro-controller (a great many TV's use this method for the tuning voltage). The only difficulty is getting the low-pass filter right.

Nigel, I have heard about using a lowpass filter to convert digital PWM signals to analogue signals. What are the parameters to determine the cutoff-frequency of the lowpass filter though?

discrete said:
Nigel, I have heard about using a lowpass filter to convert digital PWM signals to analogue signals. What are the parameters to determine the cutoff-frequency of the lowpass filter though?

If you look on the MicroChip website at https://www.microchip.com they have an application note about using PWM to generate analogue voltages, they give the details there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back