Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCR-T4 Component Tester (ESR Meter)

That's one of these without the case.

Neat, useful little transistor & component tester, but I'd no way consider it an ESR meter!
An ESR meter must use very low voltages to minimise conduction through other components, while this is testing for junctions that conduct, to determine the type of component.

The Peak one is a proper ESR meter that works very well, in contrast.

Transistor tester.jpg

Can this meter https://www.elektor.com/products/lcr-t4-mega328-transistor-tester-esr-meter
be used for testing caps in circuit (ESR)?

Does someone have experience using it?
Hi friends... it's a good device, but it can't be said 100% that it tests the capacitor completely, a simple test of the capacity... it provides the esr value... with the schematic of the desired part, it's not useful for professional work, but for Normal work is partially responsible
Because the supplementary test of the capacitor in frequency... temperature... voltage... tangent angle theta... is done on the esr circuit which is a simple alternating current circuit
tan theta=r(esr)/xc
xc = Impedance of the desired capacitor at a specific working frequency
T4 cannot measure this, but if you know the frequency of T4, you can analyze it yourself

Last edited:
Thanks.

I was hoping to find some cheap ESR meter, but that's like Finding Nemo.
By cheap, I mean really cheap, under 30€.
The only thing I could find is homemade ESR meter in classified ads.
It's 30€.
1712741289811.png

It says:
"ESR meter for measuring electrolyte freshness in capacitors without removing them from the circuit board. It is not necessary to discharge the capacitor before measuring, the electronics of the instrument successfully ignores DC voltages up to 400V. Built-in battery, and the instrument comes with an operating manual."

Is this worth buying?

Last edited:
Can this meter https://www.elektor.com/products/lcr-t4-mega328-transistor-tester-esr-meter
be used for testing caps in circuit (ESR)?

Does someone have experience using it?
They work great, but they aren't suitable for in-circuit use - the Peak ESR meter pictured above is excellent though, and is what I have used for years (prior to that I use a home made one). Interestingly Peak are based only about 25 miles away from me, and are located a few units away from a friend of mine, who they actually give free ones to for him to evaluate for them.

Interestingly Peak are based only about 25 miles away from me, and are located a few units away from a friend of mine, who they actually give free ones to for him to evaluate for them.

I can give your friend my address, if he doesn't have time to do the evaluation. ;)

Thank you for the link, it's very informative.

I think the cost of the parts to build it yourself is about 15€.
Is that right?

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back