Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didnt close down completly.

Just for Africa.

Microchip also samples some other goodys like ADCs,DACs,Voltage regulators.Tempretature sensors,I2C and SPI EEPROMS(Up to 512Kbits),Batery chargers(Li-Ion,Ni-CD,Ni-MH),Motor drivers(Up to 2A)...

Chect just out there analog products.

You can order 4 difrent items and 3 each i think.

zachtheterrible said:
BTW, is that a set of carbide drill bits that I see on the top shelf? :lol:

Sure is Zac I got them on e-bay for US $10 each so for a total of $44.00 Oz including postage I got meself 100 carbide drill bits from 0.35-1.15 mm in 0.05 increments. Off memory I got the link for them off this forum.

Cheers Bryan :D

zachtheterrible said:
I know mine has current limiting. It didn't say short circuit protection, but I'm sure that it does.
Zach, yours has current regulation which is a form of very accurate limiting, but I can't think of an application for regulation.
If it is set to a low voltage or is shorted and set to 5A then it will dissipate 150W. If it doesn't have a high speed fan it will smoke and glow red-hot! Maybe it uses a tracking switching pre-regulator to stay cool.

It has "high current limited" protection, whatever that is. It should have High Temperature Protection instead.

A switchmode PSU has high frequency ripple, and doesn't regulate as well as a linear one.

A tracking switching pre-regulator followed by a linear regulator would be perfect. :lol:

Good god, I ordered this thing almost exactly 48 hours ago and received it in the mail today!! Talk about fast shipping. Well, it better be fast because I got stuck with $24 S&H. My oscilloscope took 2 weeks to get to me!

This PSU is great! What it means by current regulation is that I can set how much current I want it to supply, say 500mA. Then if I turn up the voltage, it will only let the voltage go up to a certain point so it only supplies 500mA.

Audio, I don't think I'm going to be needing to worry about heat, it has a massive heatsink mounted on the outside of the case in the back. If I have the current turned way up and the voltage low, that's when it will dissipate a lot of power and heat up?

Something very very strange is going on with my o-scope though. Even when the O-scope is not hooked up to anything, it's getting massive interference from the PSU. So much so that even the trace rotation got thrown off! What shall I do?

zachtheterrible said:
Something very very strange is going on with my o-scope though. Even when the O-scope is not hooked up to anything, it's getting massive interference from the PSU. So much so that even the trace rotation got thrown off! What shall I do?

Move the PSU further away from the scope! - the magnetic field from the transformer can deflect the beam magnetically - scope tubes are often screened against this (using mu metal screening), but it's probably only partially effective?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
zachtheterrible said:

Mive the PSU further away from the scope! - the magnetic field from the transformer can deflect the beam magnetically - scope tubes are often screened against this (using mu metal screening), but it's probably only particlaly effective?.

Nigel I bet thats it, the PSU is sitting right on top of the scope :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back