Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Household product with offline PSU?

Flyback

Hi, can you think of any Household consumer product, which is mains powered, and has an offline PSU in line with the mains cable, then another cable leading from the PSU to the product?
(We can only come up with laptops, there is literally nothing else?)

EU safety regs require them to be water tight if mains voltages are in them....it is a legal requirement.
I own a toaster and a couple of hair dryers. I suspect that they aren't water tight. The toaster has a bunch of electronics in it for the timers, so it has some sort of power supply inside it.

It's not credible that regulations would ban such appliances.

It is credible that PSU manufacturers would make the smaller ones with no ventilation holes to avoid problems with dust and noise, and that they have accepted that the product is somewhat larger than it would be with fans and ventilation holes but, on balance, is more desirable to the end user.

All mains power supplies have mains in them - and the vast majority have ventilation holes in them.
Thanks, though for this post, the discussion is talking of offline PSUs for "Household consumer applicances".
These are not permitted to have vent holes in their enclosures.

Last edited:
#43 post....thanks, yes, EN61000-3-2 concerns harmonics.....other standards detail vents etc.

Actually we are wondering if the standards allows metal outer enclosyure offlien SMPS.
I think standard is EN62368, but dont really know, i have not payed the EU2.4 to go on EVS.EE and find out yet.

Latest threads

Back