Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Household product with offline PSU?

Flyback

Hi, can you think of any Household consumer product, which is mains powered, and has an offline PSU in line with the mains cable, then another cable leading from the PSU to the product?
(We can only come up with laptops, there is literally nothing else?)

Electric pianos/instruments.
Model railways.
Door-bells.
Isolated supplies for portable tools.

Virtually every computer monitor. Apple computers. CPAPs. Video games.

I guess Flyback doesn't get out much.

(We can only come up with laptops, there is literally nothing else?)
Your world must be very bleak.

Portable radio charger
Fixed radio power supply
Shaver charger
Toothbrush charger
Cordless phone power supply
Soldering station ?

JimB

To be fair, soldering stations often do the control as well. They don’t just put out a constant voltage, so I wouldn't class most of them as simple PSUs.

I've got a table lamp and a network hard drive that have separate PSUs. However most of the battery chargers for power tools that I have are directly mains powered, probably so that the mains side can be adjusted to control the charging.

A lot of devices are USB powered so that the user can plug them into more places and the manufacturer can use a standard power supply, or even not bother supplying one.

Burn hands? Most of this type of power supply are little more than warm to the touch.

Plastic-cased, as opposed to what? Metal? I don't believe I've ever seen this type of power supply in a metal case.

Are you one of those rare Amish electrical engineers, living without technology? Your real-world experience seems very limited.

This is a Microsoft Xbox 360 power supply. It supply 12 volts at over 16 amps (200 watts). It weighs about a pound and a half. I believe this to be the largest power brick I have seen.

It's in a plastic case and includes a cooling fan. It also features a 5v @ 1a output that is always on. Connecting a control line to this +5v source turns the 12 volt supply on.

When I see one of these at the thrift store for around five bucks, I snap it up. A good quality power supply providing high current 12vdc is handy to have.

A brick supplying 2× the wattage is difficult to conceive! May I make a suggestion to you? To expand your horizons, go to a PC or electronics recycler, and open your eyes. Look at the literally hundreds of types of AC adapters they will have and then wonder the rest of the store. If you don't see many things that pique your interest, maybe you're in the wrong line of work. I suggest this with all sincerity, as you truly seem to lack any real-world experience.

s-l400 (7).jpg

In answer to your post in another thread, see post 15 about. Plastic case. Vent holes. Fan. Two wire power cord.

Hi,
Are there any examples of products which feature an offline 100-265VAC isolated SMPS in a plastic case which has vent holes for an internal fan? Also, with no earth connection. Also, the case being entirely plastic.
To what isolation voltage are they tested?, and what creepage/clearance do they need to exhibit between primary and secondary nets?

Plastic case. Vent holes. Fan
...Thanks........regarding this

The regulation states.....

QUOTING FROM REGS
6.2 Appliances shall have the appropriate degree of protection against harmful ingress of water.
Compliance is checked by inspection and by the relevant tests.

...As such, i cannot understand how the xbox 360 PSU gets away with fan vent holes...they would let in water.

There is however, no IP rating requirement for the IT or household electronics products market....so maybe thats how xbox360 is getting round it.?

The question is also, supposing the xbox360 PSU had been done in metal enclosure with no vents or fans, would it be likely to burn someones hand if they touched it?....is there even a standard on this?
maybe you're in the wrong line of work. I suggest this with all sincerity, as you truly seem to lack any real-world experience.
(on your other kind point,..yes unfortunately i have no engineering ability or sense whatsoever.....but i have no ability in anything else either)

Last edited:

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back