Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Plug'n'play PSU...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinkerPhil

Littered around my house I have a lot of DC and AC power sources - car batteries, power tool batteries, USB 5v wall adaptors 12V DC wall adaptors, old PC power supplies, 12 and 24V AC wall adaptors etc etc I also have a collection of old mains transformers I could use

Converting AC to (dirty DC) just requires a suitable rectifier - so all these things become DC supplies - albeit with different power capacity

What I would like is a gizmo I can give DC and it be able to provide me with a variable voltage output (up to the input voltage)

Ideally it would allow me at least 10 Amps (where the source can provide it) without burning up

Better still it wouldn't be HUGE (so I can easily take it with me and use it with whatever sources I have where I go)

Am I asking for the moon on a stick?

I get mine from Ebay.... There are loads of 10A ( how efficient I do not know)

There are 2A ( the ones I buy ) If you remove the trimers and use pots, you have a complete current / voltage adjustable PSU..

I get mine from Ebay.... There are loads of 10A ( how efficient I do not know)

There are 2A ( the ones I buy ) If you remove the trimers and use pots, you have a complete current / voltage adjustable PSU..
Sounds ideal - if only for when I'm using a PP3 - can you provide a link to one you like the look of?

PP3 10A ??? never seen one that big before... most you'll get from one of those 250mA.

However! There are boost types that will yield 5v or 12v from a lithium at 3.7v, but you'll need to scour that for yourself.. I use 24 -> 5v but its variable..

Just google "ebay boost convertor"

A quick look at these power supplies shows the price has gone up, but they are an incredible value still. Most of these are buck-only supplies (output is less than input voltage) but they are available in buck/boost too. For the buck only type, connect a power supply of greater voltage than you need, and you have an adjustable power supply that can supply from 0 volts to a couple volts less than the supply voltage.

The display shows:
o Voltage supplied
o Current being drawn
o Power being delivered

Additionally, the a current limit can be set and the supply used as a constant current source. The version shown here has the most features. Other types that come in a similar package may have fewer features. Some of these supplies are Bluetooth-capable. Monitor and control voltage and current remotely.

power supply.jpg

power supply 2.jpg

PP3 10A ??? never seen one that big before... most you'll get from one of those 250mA.

However! There are boost types that will yield 5v or 12v from a lithium at 3.7v, but you'll need to scour that for yourself.. I use 24 -> 5v but its variable..

Just google "ebay boost convertor"
LOL that was my attempt at a joke

I'm not looking for a boost curcuit.

A quick look at these power supplies shows the price has gone up, but they are an incredible value still. Most of these are buck-only supplies (output is less than input voltage) but they are available in buck/boost too. For the buck only type, connect a power supply of greater voltage than you need, and you have an adjustable power supply that can supply from 0 volts to a couple volts less than the supply voltage.

The display shows:
o Voltage supplied
o Current being drawn
o Power being delivered

Additionally, the a current limit can be set and the supply used as a constant current source. The version shown here has the most features. Other types that come in a similar package may have fewer features. Some of these supplies are Bluetooth-capable. Monitor and control voltage and current remotely.

View attachment 140524

View attachment 140525
I keep looking at those - but can't convince myself I have a need for one - but I still keep looking :D

I use one all the time. I think the one I have is capable of 3 amps and I'm supplying 24 volts, so I can get almost 22 volts from it.

It's very handy to dial the exact voltage you want, and to read the voltage current and power all at once. Handy to watch for changes in current draw too without rigging up a meter.

In current-limit mode, it's simple to evaluate LED brightness at different currents.

I use one all the time. I think the one I have is capable of 3 amps and I'm supplying 24 volts, so I can get almost 22 volts from it.

It's very handy to dial the exact voltage you want, and to read the voltage current and power all at once. Handy to watch for changes in current draw too without rigging up a meter.

In current-limit mode, it's simple to evaluate LED brightness at different currents.
I've been looking at a similar product. WZ5012L

My interest is in using it in a test system where the voltage is dynamically controlled by software. For that, I need to know what the communication is (uart, I2c, ??) and what the command protocol is.

I've asked multiple vendors, but haven't gotten an answer yet.

For the model I have, a 4-pin header is available for UART (TTL-level) serial coms. Some models come with a Bluetooth module connected to this header.

I know I've found documention for interfacing the model I have.

You might take a look at MPJA.com – their documention on products they carry is usually pretty complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back