Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project: Simplest shocker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a disposable flash has a too low curent to shock,But if you leave the big cap on then it might be dengerus

Someone Electro said:
I think a disposable flash has a too low curent to shock,But if you leave the big cap on then it might be dengerus

You can get a HELL of a good shock off a camera flash - the capacitor charges up to about 300V - without the capacitor it wouldn't be as much, but why would you want to leave the capacitor out?.

I bought my daughter a pack of three disposible cameras when she went away with some friends, and I asked for them back when I had them developed - quite good fun!.

Any of you people have ever got shocked by a TV hi voltage obviously not. If you did you would realize how powerfull it is. You geniuses may never survive throught the initial testing. The 20 mega or so in series with the hi voltage saves you. I don't see any 20 mega in the circuit. And on a normal day I can fell current passing through by body at 30 volts the question that remains how much more does it take to zap me. EDS makes me mad every time a touch a door knob, but it is gone in a microseconds or so. Why don't you guys biuld a 120 v AC to DC pump that is safe.

Last edited:
raybo said:
Any of you people have ever got shocked by a TV hi voltage obviously not. If you did you would realize how powerfull it is.

Many, many times! - EHT from a TV is safe, because it's only a very low current source, usually limited to no more than 1mA.

So there's no where near enough current available to kill you (by the shock), however falling over and breaking your neck is still a possibility!.

How about the tube?

Doesn't it have a built in HV capacitor?

I've heard stories about people being killed by carying TVs with the back of the TV facing thier chest then falling over and being electricuted by the stored charge.

Hero999 said:
How about the tube?

Doesn't it have a built in HV capacitor?

Sort of!, the final anode inside the CRT, and the aquadag (the graphite paint on the back of the tube) form a capacitor, with the glass as the insulator.

I've heard stories about people being killed by carying TVs with the back of the TV facing thier chest then falling over and being electricuted by the stored charge.

I've heard stories about fairies and goblins! - what does a story have to do with anything? :D

The story is complete rubbish!.

However, it IS a damn good capacitor, I've known CRT's hold their charge for years! - but again, not enough energy to harm you.

Hero999 said:

Sounds like one for "Mythbusters" to me.
Not only is this the most awkward way to carry a TV, because the weight is all at the screen end due to the thick glass used in its construction.
A more likely end for someone falling over when carrying a TV this way would be by being speared by the neck of the tube.
But then again, most unlikely.

JimB

Obviously you read but not understand. Did i forget to mention the limiting resistor without that adios. Can you understand that some of these people are not up to undesrstand the fatality of a TV transformer without current limiting, and might try to get the final buzz.

What does adios mean?

tjhe same thing as astsa lavista and no problemo came from get an education will yah.
AND yes i got shock from a TV 4 years after storage myths only for newbies.
Hero999 said:
What does adios mean?

By the way when you quote someone you should put your reply below the quote not above.

raybo said:
tjhe same thing as astsa lavista and no problemo came from get an education will yah.

As you are trying to teach us something, please get it right.

Adios = Spanish for Goodbye

Hasta la vista, baby = Spoken by Arnie Schwartzenegger in Terminator2 before he blew away the "bad cyborg".
My nightschool Spanish teacher (from Spain) was rather horrified :eek: by the expression as a corruption of the Spanish language!
Hasta luego = see you later.

No problemo = sounds a bit like Bart Simpson to me.

JimB

My 1970 TV had a regulated 25kV supply. I never felt a shock from it but during a shock it would simply increase the current to jolt you good.

audioguru said:
My 1970 TV had a regulated 25kV supply. I never felt a shock from it but during a shock it would simply increase the current to jolt you good.

Regulated YES, high current NO - presuming you mean the crude valve sets?, they commonly used a shunt regulator to help stabilise the EHT (a PD500 valve was used in Europe for the job), but the current available was still very low.

What were dangerous were the far older B/W sets (before my time) that used mains transformers to genetate the EHT :D

My old 'scope uses its mains transformer to make 1.5kVAC which is rectified and filtered into about 2kVDC.

I wonder which hurts more:
Electrons slamming into your skin in an arc, or
Holes leaving your skin in an arc.
???
I think the electrons would burn you.

audioguru said:
My old 'scope uses its mains transformer to make 1.5kVAC which is rectified and filtered into about 2kVDC.

I wonder which hurts more:
Electrons slamming into your skin in an arc, or
Holes leaving your skin in an arc.
???
I think the electrons would burn you.

The contact point of an electric shock is a burn, and prolonged high current produces a deeper burn and 'cooking' of the flesh!.

Microwave ovens are probably by far the most dangerous thing in your house, 3KV DC at high current - death?, almost certainly!. So don't play with microwave ovens!.

Last edited:
Ummmm..What dose this have to do whith shocking and high voltage?

Oh and getting a arc to you from the flyback is not very good.the curent is not painful but then the real pain begins when the burnt skin starts hurting.I did it by getting to close to a wire.I stupidly used normal wire that can no where near stand the +10kV got to close and i fould feal a tickle and then the insulation arced trough and zap.The flyback was runing on a 555 timer and mosfet driver it has lots of power(Had flyback secundary heating problems).It left a small gry spot on my finger that itches very anoyingy for like a weak.So use wire wich has its insulation rated for high votage.Or you will end up whith a burnt finger like me.

Yea microwaves are proboby the most deadly apliance.More then 2kV at about 1 Amp (When secundary shorted can trip the circuit breaker)

Nigel Goodwin said:
The contact point of an electric shock is a burn, and prolonged high current produces a deeper burn and 'cooking' of the flesh!.

Microwave ovens are probably by far the most dangerous thing in your house, 3KV DC at high current - death?, almost certainly!. So don't play with microwave ovens!.

I remember having an argument with the service manager of our TV servicing department because he wanted customers to change the bulbs in their microwaves themselves rather than sending an engineer out to do it. This involved removing the cover and exposing the entire innards of the microwave on the models we were doing. He simply wouldn't believe me that it was completely irresponsible to suggest such a thing, I think he thought I was exaggerating when I explained that one touch of those huge capacitors would almost certainly mean death.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back