Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project: Simplest shocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone Electro

This is the simpleest way to get harmles high volteges of an batery!

The transformer can be any mains transfomer(110-220V to 1-24V)

Whith the right transfomer it is posible to generate up to 2000V!!! (Don't wory its not dengerus becose of to low curents!)

these transformers normaly have 20-40:1 ratio so how can it make 2000V(200:1 ratio reqierd)?
Its becose some transformers have an good magnetic field breakdown efect(energy is storen in an magnetic field an then relesed as an high voletge spike)

If the releys coil resistanse is too big (inted in the reley the curent goes in the transfomer) the transistor must be hoked up in serial whith the reley coil (this will give lower performace)

I think this thing cod be hoked up whith an TV Flayback transformer too(to generate up to 20 000V)

A big cap (1000uF) parallel whith your power surce can inprove performance(its recomended if an lower curent power suply is used)

Attachments

• shockrer_222.gif
    shockrer_222.gif
    1 KB · Views: 8,914
but ther is no AC, its just DC from the battery :? i take it its just like an inductor releasing its energy or somethinl ike that?

zachtheterrible said:
but ther is no AC, its just DC from the battery :? i take it its just like an inductor releasing its energy or somethinl ike that?

The relay switching ON and OFF produces AC, this is a VERY old circuit (pre semiconductors) - such devices were used to power valve car radios long before transistors became available. They were called 'vibrators', they came in two types - asyncronous (similar to the circuit above, and requiring a rectifer on the output), or syncronous (these had extra contacts for the output side as well, and didn't require a seperate rectifer, the extra contacts reverse the output in sync with the polarity changes).

WW2 radios used similar devices, or even rotary converters - a low voltage motor driving a high voltage dynamo.

In fact the actual circuit itself is even older than that, it was used in Victorian times as a party trick - known as 'shocking coils'. People stood in a big circle holding hands, with those at the ends of the circle each holding one of the contacts.

We actually did this at junior school in the early 1960's! - imagine the uproar if you tried to do it now!.

Well i came up whith this curcuit wen i was bored and found an old mains tranfromer then i figured out ti was fun and i got in to mesing around whith it.

I have an nother version that makes positive and negative pules(a real AC)

I also made one whith an 555 timer as an oscilator whith an voltege dubler and an HV electrolic 10uF cap for a filterd DC output.It was capeble of 400 VDC (there diodes and caps started to leak out) from an 9V batery (aint to nice to toch the output).I used it to power an Flourescent light (I aculy neded yust a litle above 100V ).it consumed 20mA at 9V

My recent project was an magnetic field detector (can also be used to sek power cabels in wals)out of an LED bar VU meter chip (It was all on the chip:AC filter,Amp,LED bar driver)

oh, i c how it works, cool!!

everyone standing in a circle and getting shocked reminds me of something that happened @ skool once. this kid brought what i think was a flashlight lamp battery (one of those big ones) and was able to shock about 10 people. i stil cant figure out how a flashlight lamp battery was able to do that :lol:

Arctic Fox said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
The relay switching ON and OFF produces AC

NOT AC. Pulsed DC. :roll:

We've had a long running thread about this :lol:

As far as I'm concerned, pulsed DC is AC - the only practical difference is the DC level, which can be changed by simply passing it through a capcitor or transformer.

Sorry, I just saw that and had to try and make clear.

Yes, sometimes it's okay to consider pulsed DC as AC, but there are a few electrical projects that call for only pulsed DC. Alternating Current will burn up these devices, or render them non-operational.

But, in most cases... okay.

I been looking all over for that circuit. the qustion now is. how do you find the Hz of the output? and how do you change the Hz. it has been a long time since i messed with electronics lol.

the simplest way is to get an freq. meter for your computer and put an computer microphone on the reley.the freqency meter shod show the freq.

If the reley oscilating at an too high freq. put the transformer in seris rather in parallel

i did the diagram exactly and the relay works fine. i then put the transformer in the circuit and there is no shock. i put the transformer in series the relay goes but still no shock. any one know what might be wrong? the relay i have is a 275-0248 from radio shack. coil resistance is 400 ohms
pickup voltage 9 dropout voltage .6 contact rating is 10 a at 120vac/24dc
nominal coil current 30ma

i used an unknown transformer then switched it to a 120vac 60hz 8w to 16vac 375ma transformer.

i put on 7.5 vdc and also tryied 9vdc. still no shock.

sure hope some one out there can help. thanks in advance.

blva888 said:
I been looking all over for that circuit. the qustion now is. how do you find the Hz of the output? and how do you change the Hz. it has been a long time since i messed with electronics lol.

The frequency will be dependant upon the mechanical limitations of the relay mechanism. A small mechanism, which does not need to travel a long distance might give you a higher frequency than a large mechanism (eg a contactor...)

Also, probably increasing the battery voltage will cause a higher frequency, as the relay mech pulls in faster/harder.

ok i found out the problum why it is not working. you need a DTDP relay in there to isolate the transformer from the coil of the relay. eather that or put i diode in there but havent tested the diode part yet. hope this helps who wishes to build one. i got the transformer at radio shack and the relay too. pritty much any relay will work but i got the smalles voltage one so that i could also use that for the transformer.

Attachments

• shock_box.jpg
    shock_box.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 3,533
Seems like a "cattle rod", the device that they use to "convince" cattle to go wherever they have to go....not wherever they WANT to go... :?
I used them a long time ago.
It's the simplest way to obtain a "convincing" high voltage.Do not expect frequency stability, nor a long life from the relay's contacts.
To improve contact's life, you should try a .44uf (50v) capacitor in series with a 10Ohm resistor (1/2 Watt) between relay's contacts.It reduces the contact's sparks produced due to inductance in the relay coil.No measurable side effects in the output voltage.
Depending on the transformer, it could give your target a really nasty shock!!!!

Shocker

I really didn't read any responses to this article. What you need to do is incorporate an oscillator to create an alternating current. This way you can simply hold down the button and continuously shock the bastards. also I would replace the relay with a transistor and I would make my own step-up coil.

I also tryed an 555 timer oscilator and it worked nice but whith lower power.I can't sem to get an TV flyback anyware.

there wod be problems whith the door knob shock prank since it dosen't give good shoks wen made work on an sinle object to shock (the other side of the transformere grounded).It shod work wery good on rainy days

this circuit may interfear whith TVs (makers the picture a bit interfeard)

Now I'm no electronics expert, but can't you replace the relay with a 555 and a transistor? It's looks like one could but I'm not sure of the implications of doing that...Seems like it'd work tho...I think I'll try it if i have time (school and life pending)

an simple 555 timer circuit (get it from the datasheet) and conect it to an power trasistor whith an 470 Ohm resitor to limti the curent.Then you conect the transformers secundary (so an 220V to 12-3V trasformer steps up the voltage insted seping it down)

the 555 timer shod oscilate 50-100 Hz (try out the difrent feqencys becose it depends on the transformer your use)

i did this once an i also conected an voltage multiplyer on it.Only 20% of the power was waisted (it demended 25mA from an 9V batery)

I conected an floutescent tube to it and wen you toced onetreminal it fired up and kept on (wasent wery bright since i ran only 80mW in it but in a completle dark room you cod see a litle bit)

I also made an biger voltage multiplyer and conected it to a mains transformer.is fou coneted it to a line dravn whith an pencil it stared to ach all over it (looks realy nice!)

with out the voltage multiplyer its good for pranks(gives you a nice shock but not dengerus)whith the voltage multiplyer its quite painful (becose the capacitotors in it store the power and selese it wen somting gets conected to it (an idiot toching the conetcts is also considerd))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back