Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project: Transformer Checker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool_buddy_57 said:
Yes i like it but.
What is the neon bulb?

A neon bulb mean LED or any thing else

It means a 'neon bulb', it's a very common old component, they require a high voltage (about 70V to 90V to strike) - nothing else will do. If you really can't find one, try old switched mains sockets, those that have a red/orange light, they use a neon bulb.

maybe this is a dumb question but how often do transformers fail with a short inside the coils? I guess if they really got cooked and melted the insulation on the wires it could happen but wouldn't that be pretty obvious from a visual inspection?

philba said:
maybe this is a dumb question but how often do transformers fail with a short inside the coils? I guess if they really got cooked and melted the insulation on the wires it could happen but wouldn't that be pretty obvious from a visual inspection?

It's a common failure mode, particularly in line output transformers, but also in modern cheap mains transformers - however, modern transformers usually have internal (non-replaceable) heat fuses, and the heat generated by the shorted turn will usually blow the heat fuse.

Nigel Goodwin said:
It means a 'neon bulb', it's a very common old component, they require a high voltage (about 70V to 90V to strike) - nothing else will do. If you really can't find one, try old switched mains sockets, those that have a red/orange light, they use a neon bulb.
Ok Dear u say Right
But u say that neon bulb require 70V to 90V to stike. And in transformer checker circuit 6V battery is used. What u saying about this?:D

Cool_buddy_57 said:
Ok Dear u say Right
But u say that neon bulb require 70V to 90V to stike. And in transformer checker circuit 6V battery is used. What u saying about this?:D

That's the entire point behind the project!, when the current is discontinued a high back EMF is generated, it's that high voltage that causes the neon to strike. If there's a shorted turn in the transformer this will damp the back EMF, and the neon won't light.

The transformer will easily create a high voltage pulse and light the LED/neon bulb when you release the switch.

I had a transformer with a 1mH coil that I was switching with a MOSFET (ignition coil primary) that was being charged with 12V. The voltage spike at the drain of the low-side-switch n-channel mosfet was >200V.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back