Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pot replacement with a DC.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

quinjet

:oops: Howdy Floks
Is it possible to replace a potentiometer with a small DC electric motor?
So the faster it spins would simulate the increase in pot travel?????
Just a daft idea,
Q.

Q, you used the word "replace" which does not make sense to me in that context.
Did you mean 'couple' a potentiometer to an electric motor for remote drive capability?
If so it better be a stepper motor and a servo pot that has 360 degrees of rotation or something will get bust sooner or later :wink:
Klaus

I think he does mean replace. So whereas you would move the pot to increase the resistance, voltage, whatever, in this case you would increase/decrease the speed of the motor.

Not sure to the answer, but i would say that a motor is an inductive load, not a resistive load, so it would probably have the oposite effect...?

Small DC electric motor is also DC generator if you spin the shaft
by external force (by hand or whatever). Generated voltage is
function of the speed. Changing the speed would change the voltage.
Theoretically you could use it as feedback for moving objects.
What exactly you are trying to do?

I am wondering if it would be possible to replace the forward reverse pot in a joystick with something that interfaces with a bicycle wheel, cog or chain. So pedal forward and it simulates the Pot increase of 0.5V and reverse a drop of 0.5V but returning to mid point when still.

quinjet, it does help a great deal if you explain in far more detail what you are trying to do. Pedalling backward does not make much sense on a bicycle unless its one of these old ones that had in hub brakes :wink:

To give you any really useful suggestions, rather than just wild guesses, we need to see the whole picture of your idea.

And, often there are many many different ways do do something. I can make no sense of your bicycle/ joystick interface.
Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back