Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

please help me with how this circuit works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pravvish

i would like to know how this circuit works ?? please help me .

i want to know wheter we have to use a PTC thermistor or NTC thermistor as the variable R1 resistor .and also i cant understand how the second section of the ph meter works?? can any one help me?

as far as i understood the second stage is a differential amplifier with non inverting input of .35 volts. but shouldnt it be .700v ??? so as to display PH in the range of 0-1400mv?? (0-14 PH ) .

thank you
ph-probe-amp-jpg.12894

Last edited:
pravvish;703459]hi i am a newbie .. i would like to know how this circuit works ?? please help me .

i want to know wheter we have to use a PTC thermistor or NTC thermistor as the variable R1 resistor .and also i cant understand how the second section of the ph meter works?? can any one help me?

as far as i understood the second stage is a differential amplifier with non inverting input of .35 volts. but shouldnt it be .700v ??? so as to display PH in the range of 0-1400mv?? (0-14 PH ). please do help me and forgive me if this has been asked earlier .

thank you
hi,
The R1 says +3500ppm/C so its a PTC.

The second stage is an inverting amp with a dc offset using the non inverting
input.

Whats the value of R9. EDIT: I see it 100K...

Last edited:
The topology of the second stage looks like a LPF filter as well. I could be wrong though.

But if thats the case, why ? Noise filter ?

thank you for replying .

i dont get how the second stage really works?? the ist stage works as a non inverting amplifier with gain of 1.7 .

but the second stage is a bit confusing . as mentioned in the post above ... what will be the offset at the non inverting input of the opamp??

thank you for replying .

i dont get how the second stage really works?? the ist stage works as a non inverting amplifier with gain of 1.7 .

but the second stage is a bit confusing . as mentioned in the post above ... what will be the offset at the non inverting input of the opamp??

hi,
The gain of the 2nd stage is -G = 100k/100K = 1
and the NInv gain +G = 1+ 100K/100K =2

So the +0.35V on the NI input gives a fixed voltage on the output of +0.7V

The Ph signal from the first stage changes the level of the +0.7V

Have you details of the output from the Ph sensor, so that we can complete the calculations.?:)

The 2.2uF cap across the 2nd stage acts a signal integrator LPF.

Last edited:
hi,
The gain of the 2nd stage is -G = 100k/100K = 1
and the NInv gain +G = 1+ 100K/100K =2

So the +0.35V on the NI input gives a fixed voltage on the output of +0.7V

The Ph signal from the first stage changes the level of the +0.7V

Have you details of the output from the Ph sensor, so that we can complete the calculations.?:)

The 2.2uF cap across the 2nd stage acts a signal integrator LPF.

ok .. the ph probe is a standard Ag-AgCl probe with 59.16mv/ph . and the ist stage gives a gain of around 1.7 (since this varies with temperature i cant be exact).

and why do we need an integrator ?? and only thing that comes out is the ph value in DC . so what is its use?

ok .. the ph probe is a standard Ag-AgCl probe with 59.16mv/ph . and the ist stage gives a gain of around 1.7 (since this varies with temperature i cant be exact).

and why do we need an integrator ?? and only thing that comes out is the ph value in DC . so what is its use?

Normally the integrator cap is added to reduce/eliminate any noise in the circuit.
As the required system is only slow acting, a large cap reduces the effective bandwidth of the system.

Does the application sheet give output voltage ranges for known Ph input values.?

yeah ... the out put voltage for 0 -14 ph is 0 -1400mv .

another problem that i see is that i cant get a 100k PTC thermistor.

i got a 100k NTC thermistor. what can i do about that??

yeah ... the out put voltage for 0 -14 ph is 0 -1400mv .

another problem that i see is that i cant get a 100k PTC thermistor.

i got a 100k NTC thermistor. what can i do about that??

hi,
This is a rough plot from LTSPice of your circuit.

Where does it say its a thermistor, I would use a 100K metal film resistor, choose one with a positive temperature coeff.

Attachments

• esp01 Mar. 01.gif
    esp01 Mar. 01.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 201

Attachments

• esp02 Mar. 01.gif
    esp02 Mar. 01.gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Looked at the datasheet:

As I suspected its not a thermistor, look at the last post for a suitable PTC resistor.

Attachments

• esp03 Mar. 01.gif
    esp03 Mar. 01.gif
    12.8 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
can you spot the correct one ??? i am asking for a help cause i cant find the correct one ... i first thought it would be a thermistor...

i googled it too ... i got random sites ....

that why i asked to spot the correct resistor from a site like farnell.com ... only if you have the time for it..

as far as i have learnt thermistors are temperature varying (compensating) resistors .. so why cant we use them??

i googled it too ... i got random sites ....

that why i asked to spot the correct resistor from a site like farnell.com ... only if you have the time for it..

as far as i have learnt thermistors are temperature varying (compensating) resistors .. so why cant we use them??

You require a 'linear' change of resistance with respect to temperature of 3500 parts per million per degree Centigrade,
generally thermistors are not linear.

I have tried Farnell for you with no success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back