Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB mfg/Removing silkscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

Well, I got my first prototype boards I've sent out for mfg. Three things came up so far:
1. CadSoftUSA's Eagle PCB layout library doesn't have a correct hole size for the TO-252A pkg. Bummer, I'm dremel-ing down the leads.
2. Left off 3 resistors I needed, and the diode I grabbed out of the library for a Schottkey has holes too small too.
3. The silkscreen goes RIGHT over the pads for a fine pitch SMD pkg. I hadn't thought about that. This is a problem, if I use chemical removers I might strip the solder mask or chemically alter the pad's tinned surface which may complicate the mounting process with surface mount paste.

Is there a good way to do this? I tried laquer thinner on a q-tip on another spot where the silkscreening for the TO-252's pkg goes right over the TO-252's solder pad, and it doesn't do anything. Maybe I should try aceone? I tried a Dremel wire brush, but it seemed to want to remove the tin more than the silkscreen.

I'm sure, the acetone will remove the silkscreen, just make a test on a small surface.(Be sure,the acetone don't remove the solderstop-lack.)

Shocking, but acetone doesn't do anything to either the silkscreen or the soldermask. Zero. Zilch.

Looks like an X-acto knife tip or the like may be the only way to do this. A wire brush is guaranteed to remove the soldermask.

The silkscreen is basically an epoxy-based ink. I haven't found much that will touch it short of removing it mechanically (ie. grinding, scraping etc.) ... JB

as for your package size issues... why don't you make new packages for the parts? eagle is really great, and it's not very hard to make a new package and apply it to a component in any given library...

scrape, don't grind

It's difficult to get precise results with a dremel wire brush, though it does the job. A light touch with a fine tipped X-acto knife works pretty well on small areas, as you've probably concluded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back