Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Edges

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupeR-NovA

hi all!
i once read that it's best to connect the ground trace of a pcb to the edge frame trace in order for it to act as "Faradei's cage" thus eliminating outer interfirences. the problem is that i read somewhere else that if you do connect the traces it forms a harmfull magnetic field, that could affect badly on the PCB components...
witch one of these statements is true??

Cutting PCB material

The easiest way to cut PCB material is with a shear, similar to one used to cut steel plate and such. Trouble is, a shear is a bit pricey (available from Kepro through places such as Kelvin Electronics), but worth the cost if you do a lot of fabrication. Otherwise, a hacksaw works. I've often ground a hacksaw blade down to fit my scroll saw and worked them that way. G-10 is rough on blades, though (just as it is on HSS drill bits), so a carbide blade will work better, although leave a wider kerf. Phenolic boards are far easier on tooling, but not as good electrically.

Dean

Yeah that faradays cage thing works. It wont damage the onboard components. I cut PCB's with a knife, by scoring both sides afew times. Then bend open the cuts slightly, and keep scoring.

This ain't healthy for the blade so i use a stanley knife with snapable blades.

Then file the egdes for a smooth finish. I like to coat the edges with a sealer so they don't absorb the etchant and warp the whole board. (mums varnish works quite well)!

I use a coping saw (the kind for cutting plywood and balsa) the blades last ages too.

Its fast and accurate, PCB is no tougher than thin hardwood anyway. I find that junior hacksaws tend to follow their own paths and end up destroying your design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back