Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

oscillators

Status
Not open for further replies.

billr

Hi ALL, need all the help and suggestions I can get. Looking for a device I can make or buy, I thought maybe oscillator circuit.Need to transmit and recieve 60 miles away.

Nedd to monitor a door open or closed and I didnt know about the lisence crap. Any other suggestions?

I am just looking for an inexpensive way to monitor my cabin in the mnts. It has no electric so I doubt a cell phone would last long.

Your talking to an idiot Nigel pls explain how

You need an interface that detects the door has opened, and instructs the mobile phone to send a text message. Mobile phones usually have an interface port on them that you can connect to, in order to make them do things like this. The interface needs a micro-controller that needs programming in order to do all the work, and supply the message to the phone.

It's not terribly trivial, and depends entirely on the specific phone, Nokia ones seem to be most popular for this. There have been projects in various electronics magazines about doing it.

I am just looking for an inexpensive way to monitor my cabin in the mnts. It has no electric so I doubt a cell phone would last long.

This is not going to be inexpensive. I've seen cellular modules available at Sparkfun and they're ~$100 IIRC. That's not to mention the monthly cell service fee you'll have to buy from a cellular carrier.

But that's really putting the cart before the horse. You can't do anything without some sort of renewable power source. I'm guessing we're talking about solar or wind power stored in batteries at this point, but you tell us. Is it windy out there? Is it sunny?

If you're worried about vandals entering the cabin, consider the possibility that they'll steal/destroy/disable your $500 (or whatever) sensor.

Just put a sign on the inner door that states this.

Hidden video surveillance equipment in use.

By the way as you read this your face was
videoed and sent to an off site recording system!
(Thanks for standing still!) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back