Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Op Amp Output Inversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noggin

I remember a while back that I had an op-amp where if the op-amp's output came close to the rail, the output would invert. I'm not an op-amp expert so I need to ask a couple of questions:

How do I know if an op-amp exhibits these characteristics? If it is not specified as Rail-to-Rail?

This is the op-amp I'm planning on using simply because it is the cheapest SMT I could find on Digi-Key (still its almost a buck, what the heck?) It will be powered from +12v and GND. I only need to know when the signal is passing between 5.5 and 6.5v. I'll have the op-amp set up as a voltage follower and then use a resistor divider to step the voltage down. My micro will see 4.3v and 3.6v at those voltages. If the op-amp inverts when it is too high or too low, I'll simply ignore those readings.

I'd love to use a resistor divider and save a buck and a half (and I'm not thrilled about running an op-amp from the car's 12v accessory line) but I can't load the line. I'll have to settle for filtering the power line unless someone can suggest a reasonably priced op-amp suited for automotive uses. The op-amp will only draw about 3 mA, so R9 could probably be much higher to help with any noise and give D2 additional time to turn on when needed.

Attachments

• thermistor circuit.png
    thermistor circuit.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
The TSM100 is an old slow opamp and a comparator like an LM (I can't remember its number). The datasheet doesn't have enough information.
Its inputs work at the 0V supply so it probably does not have the phase-inversion problem.

Thanks, I'm not worried about the speed. I'm going to be measuring the voltage across a thermistor and cycling power to an AC unit in a car. Turn on at 5.5v and off at 6.5v, and it'll take several seconds to vary that much.

I appreciate you looking at the datasheet for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back