Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OFF-the-wall idea for momentary ON switch

MrDEB

Looking to build a digital kitchen timer that shuts off after timing out and/or a 10 second delay waiting for user input.
Here is the screenshot of the on/off section of the kitchen timer. Going to use an 18Fxxxx pic
maybe need a diode on the pic output pin to prevent applying voltage to the unpowered pic.
Screenshot (38).png
unpowered pic?

The enclosure I have has 4-AA batteries, so it is 6 volts with fresh batteries.
Made a correction to the ICSP as per post #53
Now, I am waiting for some fresh solder. My solder doesn't seem right. It is just like flakes onto the circuit board while soldering in a bunch of Mosfets for my Margarita sign circuit board. I applied flux and rechecked the temp setting on the iron. Maybe the iron needs some attention? Just touching the solder to the tip, it melts just fine.
Does solder get old?

MrDEB I am truly amazed at your ability to miss the most pertinent points. You definitely have a knack.

Solder doesn't "go bad". Pay the price for Kester 44, 63/37 rosin core and it will work well.

(edited to correct early morning brain fade)

Last edited:
Obviously one of those 5V batteries you buy from the local store
Silly me. I see them now... they're right next to the AC batteries.

MRD - you could use one of those TPS load switches to control the LCD backlight if you wanted to extend the battery life. 6V is a bit on the high side, but at least it doesn't exceed the absolute max.

I've learned by experience that when it comes to solder, Kester is the answer. To borrow T-Mobile's slogan, it just works.

Yes, I should have ordered the Kester brand.
Been contemplating this stupid project and thinking "Maybe:" I need to add an ON button so then the buttons would be 6 unless I can use the START TIMER button to enable the timed latch circuit.
Depress to enable the timed latch circuit then use the same button to start the timer?
NOTE the micro would be powered ON after the timed latch circuit is enabled.
Any ideas

updated schematic.
Thinking maybe have a green LED light up after 10-15 seconds after last user input to correct time event desired then I could eliminate the START_TIME BUTTON
schematic_6.jpg

MrDEB , how about trying to make all the needed changes & corrections to your schematics before posting them, rather than adding some and apparently saving others for later? Once again, you have so many different versions posted ain't nobody can keep track of what's what, including you.

In post #45, the latch circuit is drawn correctly.

In post #50, you screwed up the latch circuit. In post #54, I pointed that out. Yet your latest schematic hasn't corrected that error.

In post #52, Pommie pointed out the wiring error on your switches. Not corrected in your latest schematic.

I also suggested adding a two pin header to bypass the latch circuit during programming and dev, which hasn't been implemented or acknowledged. If you don't understand something, rather than blowing it off, ask why it's important.

Yes, you have made some of the suggested changes (ICSP V+ connection and LCD control lines). Do you expect a gold star for doing so?

I don't mean to be harsh, but I just spent an hour comparing schematics to figure out what changes have been made, fixed or broken. It would be useful to say exactly what you've changed in each schematic. You'll keep track and commenters will know w/o searching.

Last edited:
It might help if we knew what the "5V battery" was in the schematics...

Obviously one of those 5V batteries you buy from the local store :D

Likely one of the 5v power bricks (a.k.a. "back up batteries") that are so popular these days with DIYers - easily recharged with a USB cable. Available in a wide range of capacities and from more reputable dealers like Anker, Samsung and more. Way safer than dealing in loose lithium batteries with questionable charger circuits.

And, yes, they are available at many local stores - another good point.

oops grabbed the wrong schematic.
Here, hopefully final.
white LED = waiting for button press
green LED = timer is done
yellow LED = battery low
hopefully it is all correct
schematic_8.jpg

Screenshot_20240105_122553_Edge.jpg

Screenshot_20240105_122747_Edge.jpg

SmartSelect_20240105_125509_Edge.jpg

Screenshot_20240105_130044_Edge.jpg

YES while laying in bed this morning, It dawned on me about the left side of the switches DUH
As for the bypass during programming, this is going to be mounted on a stripboard. IF it works out, then yes will add on a PCB design.

YES while laying in bed this morning, It dawned on me about the left side of the switches DUH

It's fortunate you discovered the error. The board wouldn't have worked as you drew it.

I realized that
Working on some code, Call it an outline.
A routine to monitor portB. Any input.
After the user inputs the desired TIME, the pic automatically starts timing after 10-15 second delay.. if no changes(input) to DESIRED TIME on portB (the green LED is enabled. tHINKING ABOUT 10-15 SECONDS delay before the green LED is enabled indicating the timer is counting down from the desired time to zero.
User sets desired TIME but before the timer starts the user changes the desired time BEFORE THE GREEN led IS ENABLED.
User inputs 5 minutes but before the green LED (TIMER STARTS) the user decides they only wants 4 minutes.
MAYBE REALLY DON'T WORRY ABOUT THIS?
using SF basic

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back