Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help Confirming This Circuit Still Works After I Modified Some Components...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs14smith

Alright so what I am doing is getting reed of any components that I do not need to make the smaller in size. I already hooked up the board, installed my program and it works as I need, but I also have many other things on the board that I am not using so I want to get reed of them.

These are the components/pins I do not need:
-Battery Port (located on far left side by edge)
-Charging Port (located on far left side by edge)
-Reset Button (located on far right side by edge)
-Reset LED (located on far right side by edge)
-pins A0-A7 on ATMEGA... chip
-pins D6-D13 on ATMEGA... chip

So I deleted those components on the schematic, however, I am not sure if I deleted something that was needed for the Arduino to still function.
I'm mostly worried about the PC6(/RESET) which I deleted the S1 switch for.

I have attached the modified schematic (has less parts), then the original schematic respectively.

Last edited:
hi rs,
Removing the RESET switch is OK, its n/o anyway.

hi rs,
Removing the RESET switch is OK, its n/o anyway.

Okay, so the way I have it hooked up now should be fine? According to the website they mention the following: DTR. Bring this line LOW to reset the microcontroller. Typically used to add a reset button to shields which block the one on the board.
So the way I have it hooked up now is that it is always HI, so the only way to reset this board would be to disconnect power to the board which can be done by the power switch.

NOTE: I noticed that the image of the modified schematic did not upload correctly so I have re-uploaded that.

hi.
As the external DTR line can be used to Reset the MCU, I would suggest a Reset switch is a 'good idea' especially when debugging programs

hi.
As the external DTR line can be used to Reset the MCU, I would suggest a Reset switch is a 'good idea' especially when debugging programs

Thanks for the suggestion, but my job is to simply implement what the client wanted which was to have no reset button what so ever, and just have the power switch to the entire circuit be used to reset the program if ever needed. But you are saying that, the way I have it setup now "will work" correctly right? I just had that concern that it may be reseting constantly because I removed something that was needed and the program would never run. :D

R4 will hold the Reset pin high [ not Reset] and when the DTR line input switches Low the MCU will Reset..... its OK

..... its OK

Awesome. I was just about 98% sure everything would work, but just needed another expert to kind of verify this before we order the board.

Thanks for your help. Did you have a chance to check the other components removed? I know it's a large circuit, so if you do not have the time no worries :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back