Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My Transformer is finished Primary 120VAC, Secondary 24-0-24 VAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

My transformer is finished. I tested it and it works perfect. 120 VAC input on the primary and 24-0-24 VAC output on the secondary. The lamination saturate about 1200 watts but the winding are rated 360 watts. I only need 320 watts for my project.

I worked the math to determine how many laminations I need so the primary winding will have 200 turns. That made it easy the secondary only needs 80 turns with a center tap.

If I had used 1/2 the laminations saturation at 600 watts then the primary would have needed about 400 turns of wire and the secondary 160 turns of wire there was not enough room for that much wire it the space available. I used laminations from a microwave oven transformer.

I had to make a winding fixture for the lathe and a coil form from cerial box cardboard. It worked out perfect 50 turns on each layer of the primary and 40 turns on each layer of the secondary. Every day I wound a layer then varnished it and let it dry. I have a counter mounted on the lathe to keep track of the number of turns.

Next I made terminals using #12 solid copper wire. I wrapped the coil with fiberglass tap and painted the whole think with varnish. I built 4 aluminum mounting brackets for each corner of the transformer.

I spent more time making the winding fixture and taking the oven transformer apart than I did winding the transformer.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Looks nice, are those laminations straight steel? They look it, if so do you have much heating issues with core loss?
What'cha gonna do with it? Looks like it would be good to test out some pretty high powered DC electrics like stuff usually run of 24/48volts battery systems. Or even as a 24/48 volt charger.

Looks good but does it hum or the core heat up when left idle?

Why the large core VS small winding capacity ratio?

Looks good but does it hum or the core heat up when left idle?

Why the large core VS small winding capacity ratio?

No it does not hum. It does not get hot either. The only thing that is original from the microwave oven transformer is the laminations. I removed the welds so the laminations would come apart then I rewound it the correct way. It now has the correct number of turns per core area to operater like a transformer should operate.

I had to use what I had. The core area is 3.593 sq. in. the math says = 200 turns on the primary at 60 Hz 120 VAC. If I used half the laminations core area = 1.197 sq. in. that makes the primary coil need 400 turns. There is not enough room for 400 turns of wire plus 180 turn on the secondary. I think the design of the microwave oven transformer is the reason for such small space for wire. If I had a good supply of lamination to pick from like a factory would, I could probably reduce the physical size and weight of the transformer by 65% and have plenty of room for 400 turns of wire on the primary. One thing for sure the transformer will have no trouble dealing with surge current.

I think the laminations are just ordinary mild steel. The metal bends about as easy as aluminum. I'm not sure how this will effect the transformer. So far no problems. Input voltage is 120 volts, output is 24-0-24 and 48 VAC across the whole secondary winding. I had it on for about 15 minutes I could not tell any increase in temperature.

Last edited:
Hi gary350,

congratulations on your final procuct. It looks real nice and professional. :)

Times have long gone when you could buy a package of laminations (E-I-core), bobbin and copper wire of any desired diameter. :(

As a radio ham I wound all transformers for short wave receivers and transmitters by hand, the largest for 1,500V/400mA for the transmitter power amplifier valve.

I didn't have a turns counter and made a "garden fence" on paper counting one pole for 10 windings to continue the next day. :D

One friendly remark about your lathe: It needs a thorough overhaul including cleaning and a grease job.

When you drop your sandwich on it and be able to pick it up without metal splinters it's clean. :rolleyes:

Kind regards

Boncuk

Last edited:
After being plugged in for 4 hours my thermometer shows the transformer has warmed up to 106 degrees F. I tried both amp clamps idle current barely moves the needles. They are both reading probably 100 ma idle current. I do not have a load to test it with. Looks good so far.

Nice...well planned and executed.

Neat piece of gear there....I built my own transformer once. The original was rated @ 50V 6A.

I rewound it using the same core and brought it to 300W too..but rather @ 12Amps and 24 Volts.

It's still working. Cannot beat Linear for reliability. Ever. That was 30 Years ago. Go figure SMPS advocates....:)

I am a TV Tech......most of our repairs are Power Supply related :)

And yes.....You get companies like Delta Electronics.....they do Laptop Power SMPS for multiple companies like Acer, HP and others out there. They know EXACTLY what they are doing. As reliable as you can get.....

What I am really trying to say is.....stay away from SMPS. Unless you can afford to do it PROPERLY.

Costs money.

Cheers,
Tv Tech

Last edited:
Colin, it being as bendable as he suggests soft iron sounds more reasonable? Permalloy has a really high nickle content, wouldn't think that would make it very flexible?

SMPS isn't generally even that big a deal unless you need the efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back