Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My first PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel Goodwin said:
Nice hair job perhaps? :p[/quo

Hey, it is a new year. They would freak out if I came to work with white hair...
Maybe so highlights.

Rolf and others.

1) I need 30% NOT 3% to make this work?
2) What are the mixture amounts, Rolf was 25% H2O2 and 75% Muratic acid
3) And I pour the Peroxide in first???

Last edited:
It is not safe.............

Hayato said:
(snip)
You can store it, but it's "power" will decrease due the H2O2 decomposition, if you store in a coke bottle, make sure to "squeese" it a little (to remove some air) before you close it.(snip).
I only take exception to this because of the safety angle. Newer store hazardous martial in any spent food or drink container. Even if all labels are removed and a proper warning label are posted on the container. Just the shape (like a Coke bottle) could be enough to case a mistake and serious harm.

Rolf said:
Just the shape (like a Coke bottle) could be enough to case a mistake and serious harm.

Very true - when I was a kid a lad up the road on a farm was quite ill after drinking from a Cherryade bottle - it contained RedX, used as a fuel additive and for de-coking engines!.

mramos1 said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
Nice hair job perhaps? :p[/quo

Hey, it is a new year. They would freak out if I came to work with white hair...
Maybe so highlights.

Rolf and others.

1) I need 30% NOT 3% to make this work?
2) What are the mixture amounts, Rolf was 25% H2O2 and 75% Muratic acid
3) And I pour the Peroxide in first???

1) You need the strongest one available in the drug store I think it is 30 volumes. (30 volumes =~ 9%)

2) I use about 1/4 Peroxide + 3/4 Muriatic, but I cannot tell you precisely, because I measure it with the famous eye-o-meter. The truth is that you does not need great amounts, you won't need more than 30% H2O2 mixtured. And, if you see that the board isn't etching (it's rare), just add a bit more.

3) Yes, always pour the peroxide first and slowly.

Hayato (sorry I thought Rolf wrote previously, but it was you. Thanks):

So the 3% I bought it basically for doing my hair later on? I should go to the drugstore and pick up some stronger stuff?

mramos1 said:
Hayato (sorry I thought Rolf wrote previously, but it was you. Thanks):

So the 3% I bought it basically for doing my hair later on? I should go to the drugstore and pick up some stronger stuff?

Well, it worths a try.

It will work, but the etching time may be affected or, maybe, you'll need to add up a bit more.

So the 3% I bought it basically for doing my hair later on?
I used 3% (About 2/3 cup to 1/3 cup acid) on a 4x6" board which had about 70% of the copper removed and it worked fine. The 9% might work better/faster but I had the 3% stuff on hand at the time.

kchriste:

Lots of digging on the net told me exactly what you said. 2/3 H2O2 and 1/2 HCL pour in the cup in that order and SLOW would do 5-7 minutes.

I will try it with the evandude freezer bag tonight for fun and see what I get. I do plan on cleaning tile tomorrow and the front porch as I have 2 gallons of the stuff :) wife is happy.

I can store the ferric cloride which is nice. But pitching a ziplock has its appeal too. I have ferric cloride from years ago that still works and dark as heck, takes 20-30 minutes but it works. So it has an advantage with storage..

kchriste said:
I used 3% (About 2/3 cup to 1/3 cup acid) on a 4x6" board which had about 70% of the copper removed and it worked fine. The 9% might work better/faster but I had the 3% stuff on hand at the time.

whew, good to hear! I just bought 3 bottles of 3% at Wal-Mart. for a minute there I was thinking I wasted 3 bucks!!! Now I just need to order some copper PC board and some drill bits. Radio shack in town had 1 doubled sided copper board and not a single bit to drill it or anything to etch it with. They are worthless unless you want an RC toy.

Not to hijack the topic, but what does "baume" mean in relation to muriatic acid?

I am heading to the shack tomorrow. I will pick up some etchant, to see how i like making my own boards. If i like it, i think i will try my own etchant, too.

mramos1 said:
I will try it with the evandude freezer bag tonight for fun and see what I get
I also used a bucket of very warm water to heat the bagged mixture/PCB in so that it etched faster. The bag made it easy to hold the board up to the light so you could see how far the copper had etched through. I used 1oz copper PCB.

Andy1845c said:
Not to hijack the topic, but what does "baume" mean in relation to muriatic acid?
I think it means how strong of a concentration it is.

Marks256 said:
I am heading to the shack tomorrow. I will pick up some etchant, to see how i like making my own boards. If i like it, i think i will try my own etchant, too.

If its not right nextdoor to you, I'd call them and make sure they have what you need. The Mankato one dosn't really have anything for PCB:rolleyes:

mramos1 said:
kchriste:

Lots of digging on the net told me exactly what you said. 2/3 H2O2 and 1/2 HCL pour in the cup in that order and SLOW would do 5-7 minutes.

I will try it with the evandude freezer bag tonight for fun and see what I get. I do plan on cleaning tile tomorrow and the front porch as I have 2 gallons of the stuff :) wife is happy.

I can store the ferric cloride which is nice. But pitching a ziplock has its appeal too. I have ferric cloride from years ago that still works and dark as heck, takes 20-30 minutes but it works. So it has an advantage with storage..

Well, my proportions are valid...:D :rolleyes: :
(Higher the concentration, less you need, inverse proportions)
3% - x
9% - 2/3
x = 2/7 =~ 28%

Hayato said:
Well, my proportions are valid...:D :rolleyes: :
(Higher the concentration, less you need, inverse proportions)
3% - x
9% - 2/3
x = 2/7 =~ 28%

I went online. If you have the weak 3%, you add more, the water in it is the problem (too much h2o).

I have 3% h2h0 and 41.5% on the HCL. That is the normal store bought stuff. It is 2/3 h2o2 and 1/2 hcl, poured in that order and good to go.

I did not get time to try it. 6 board made, 2 built for Monday, for projects I have to get done. But tomorrow is Sunday, and I have a project as well. If time allows I will find a big spot in the yard, some safety gear and test it. As I have lots of copper board, 10 gallons on HCL, and 4 big bottles of dollar store watered down h2o2.

Will let you know what happens. If you do not hear from me tomorrow. Buy the Radio Shack etchant in the future and be safe (it works fine)... Or assume my wife had me clean so much stuff with it (garage, bathroom titles) and I inhaled to much of it.

Andy1845c said:
If its not right nextdoor to you, I'd call them and make sure they have what you need. The Mankato one dosn't really have anything for PCB

We are going to Rochester tomorrow anyways, so a stop at the mall won't be a waste of time. I like to brows anyways... :)

Also, i have a TV-B-Gone knock off, and like confusing the dumb employees. :D

Marks256 said:
Also, i have a TV-B-Gone knock off, and like confusing the dumb employees. :D

haha, yeah, there certinly are a few of those at the Mankato store. They are all over you as soon as you set foot inside, asking what your looking for and if they can help you, and then once you make it to the drawers where they have the raw components, they pretend they don't see you for fear you might actually ask a question. I don't think any of them know a transistor from a triac.

So i am not the only one who as experienced this!?1?! :D They are dumb. I bought the kit(etchant, resistant pin, drill bit, two boards, and some other liquid plus a polisher). They didn't even know what it was when i went to get a price check! I didn't get any TVs shut off because they were pretty dead, and i was like the only customer in there (besides some bratty kids...)

Marks256,

I am new to the HCL and H2O2. Replace that with ferric chloride and I think you will find a lot of people here doing PCBs that way. So you bought the right stuff.

I am nervous about the muriatic acid now. Went online to see about clean the concrete with it, and it etchs the concrete. Bad fumes, it hits empty glass or water want to blow back on you.. I will try it once and get rid of it. $4 a bottle from Radio Shack sounds safter.

Yeah... My kit was like $16, but the big bottle was only like $4 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back