multi position switch (digital dip switch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to push for any sort of solution but Newark.com has the PIC16F727-I/P for $2.22.

True but then there is the programming time. If I do it with a pic I would use an LCD and output the actual 3 digit freq instead of just a number, so that means more programming. I have not decided yet. I might do both.

I just completed a project using a PIC16F88 which is in an 18pin DIP. Here is a variant that would work for you that costs only $2.48
Newark has it for $1.83. Which is the reason I buy my PICs from them. It is outright incrediable that one can buy this much technology/power for under $2.

This is what you asked for:
This circuit does just that.
I was expanding on my earlier thought of
Here is what I need it to do. I have a 6 position dip switch and want to be able to cycle through all the available combinations from all off to all on using just 2 push buttons (one to move forward and one to move backwards).
I was trying clarify in the quote you picked up, but guess I didn't do so well.

If I have to program, I would add an LCD display, so I would need a larger chip.

Unless you have used LCD GLASS (they lack controllers) it is much easier to use a run of the mill LCD display and have the PIC talk to it.

EDIT: If you plan on making enough of these where there would be a cost savings using the LCD glass. For one or two units it is not worth the work.

Last edited:
I want you to know that I am not pushing you in the direction of using a PIC. Unless you are setup for and know how to program them the effort will be considerably more then the other solution.

I want you to know that I am not pushing you in the direction of using a PIC. Unless you are setup for and know how to program them the effort will be considerably more then the other solution.
Yes, I realize that. I am somewhat familiar with C. I have a pic programmer. I modified a couple of basic pic programs in the past, but nothing to this extent. It would be an educational project, but would take me far (or should I say far far!) longer to do that soldering a few components to a board. I am likely going to do both. I'll probably do the logic version first as I am attempting to write the pic version.

It is good to find someone who realized the education aspect. Good luck. There are a good number of us here using C. When you get into a bind we are here to help.

If I have to program, I would add an LCD display, so I would need a larger chip.

Actually you wouldn't need a larger chip. It takes 8 pins to drive a 2-digit 7-segment display and it takes 6 pins to drive a standard HD44780 LCD display.

Please let me know if you need help with a new hardware and software DDS-PWM CTCSS access tone generator design for LCD or LED display on an 18-pin or possibly even a 14-pin PIC device. You could even include all 50 CTCSS tones.

Regards, Mike

Code:
;
;   CTCSS tone frequencies
;
;    67.0 Hz    69.3 Hz    71.9 Hz    74.4 Hz    77.0 Hz
;    79.7 Hz    82.5 Hz    85.4 Hz    88.5 Hz    91.5 Hz
;    94.8 Hz    97.4 Hz   100.0 Hz   103.5 Hz   107.2 Hz
;   110.9 Hz   114.8 Hz   118.8 Hz   123.0 Hz   127.3 Hz
;   131.8 Hz   136.5 Hz   141.3 Hz   146.2 Hz   151.4 Hz
;   156.7 Hz   159.8 Hz   162.2 Hz   165.5 Hz   167.9 Hz
;   171.3 Hz   173.8 Hz   177.3 Hz   179.9 Hz   183.5 Hz
;   186.2 Hz   189.9 Hz   192.8 Hz   196.6 Hz   199.5 Hz
;   203.5 Hz   206.5 Hz   210.7 Hz   218.1 Hz   225.7 Hz
;   229.1 Hz   233.6 Hz   241.8 Hz   250.3 Hz   254.1 Hz
;

Attachments

• CTCSS LED.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Actually you wouldn't need a larger chip. It takes 8 pins to drive a 2-digit 7-segment display and it takes 6 pins to drive a standard HD44780 LCD display.
Thanks. I hadn't made it to the point of figuring out chip size and just assumed I would need larger from other projects I saw using LCD and PIC. It will take me a while to write anything like this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…