Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

multi position switch (digital dip switch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I got confused it is the IC-110 and when you said 100 I thought you were talking about something else. I should have realized what you meant.
I am feeling really dumb right now. I am having trouble figuring out the connection from the encoder to the circuit I want to make. Could you try giving me an example please.

Sorry, I got confused it is the IC-110 and when you said 100 I thought you were talking about something else. I should have realized what you meant.
I am feeling really dumb right now. I am having trouble figuring out the connection from the encoder to the circuit I want to make. Could you try giving me an example please.

Sorry if I mistyped the part number....

I will post circuit option

Sorry if I mistyped the part number....

I will post circuit option
No problem and thanks. I must be over-simplifying this. I thought I could somehow use the outputs from the BCDs to activate a short between the individual 5 DIP positions and the common. Sort of like 5 little relays. I just can't figure out how to turn their outputs into something that could close a switch. Does that make sense.

Could I not use 5 transistors to do what I want. I know I could if I wanted to deliver +anything but since I just want to deliver a closed circuit, could a transistor do that. Never mind....dumb idea.

Last edited:
Could I not use 5 transistors to do what I want. I know I could if I wanted to deliver +anything but since I just want to deliver a closed circuit, could a transistor do that.

You could use a transistor or this circuit, if required there is an inverting version of this IC,,,74LS06

Personally I would not use discrete logic IC's for this project, a small PIC would do the job cheaper and a lot smaller.

It will be messy with logic gates.

Attachments

• AAesp04.gif
    AAesp04.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
No problem and thanks. I must be over-simplifying this. I thought I could somehow use the outputs from the BCDs to activate a short between the individual 5 DIP positions and the common. Sort of like 5 little relays. I just can't figure out how to turn their outputs into something that could close a switch. Does that make sense.

The problem is that the counter display is in BCD, you cannot drive the IC110 with a BCD pattern, it expects a Binary pattern.
and you cannot drive the 74LS47 decoder with a Binary pattern they expect a BCD pattern.

The problem is that the counter display is in BCD, you cannot drive the IC110 with a BCD pattern, it expects a Binary pattern.
and you cannot drive the 74LS47 decoder with a Binary pattern they expect a BCD pattern.

All right, you convinced me to do it with a PIC, but now I am confused again. I thought the BCD was Binary. It looked like it counts exactly the way I need it to. I knew it would not drive it directly and that is what I could not figure out. At the start I thought of using it to drive a solid state relay to switch the dip. I thought I could do it in the same way as this clip did to drive LEDs. I just wanted to drive a solid state relay instead.
33933d1254427922-needing-help-replace-rotary-switch-digital-circuit-test2.jpg

Last edited:
Even better yet, I was doing this to get a display (so I would not have to look at tiny dials.) What if I used a 32 position switch and displayed the switch position to numeric LEDs. That should be pretty easy, No???

BCD and Binary are identical for states 0 to 9. However for a five-bit counter, the states 10 to 31 inclusive have a different representation in BCD vs Binary.

Your encoder requires five bits of binary 0 to 31, while a two digit decimal numeric display requires an encoder/decoder between the binary counter, and the decimal tow-digit display (0-3,0-9).

You could use a Hexadecimal display 0-9,A,B,C,D,E,F for the low order digit, but now we are back to the Hexadecimal rotary (or thumbwheel) switch I suggested a bunch of posts ago...

Last edited:
hi,
For simplicity I would use two of these hex push/thumbwheel switches.
When you consider the total cost involved in the discrete logic option, these switches are cost effective.
Digi-Key - CH687-ND (Manufacturer - PAGA-3100)

AAesp01.gif

You can get them cheaper than the DigiKey price.
**broken link removed**

BCD and Binary are identical for states 0 to 9. However for a five-bit counter, the states 10 to 31 inclusive have a different representation in BCD vs Binary.

Your encoder requires five bits of binary 0 to 31, while a two digit decimal numeric display requires an encoder/decoder between the binary counter, and the decimal tow-digit display (0-3,0-9).

You could use a Hexadecimal display 0-9,A,B,C,D,E,F for the low order digit, but now we are back to the Hexadecimal rotary (or thumbwheel) switch I suggested a bunch of posts ago...

I misunderstood how to count BCD. I thought it cascaded to the next counter but I understand now. I think I might just try writing a pic chip. If I get it done I will let you know. Thanks for all your help so far. It has been very educational.

I misunderstood how to count BCD. I thought it cascaded to the next counter but I understand now. I think I might just try writing a pic chip. If I get it done I will let you know. Thanks for all your help so far. It has been very educational.

hi
Just in case you cannot get it done in a PIC, this is an alternate solution.

Attachments

• IC110_Cntr1.gif
    IC110_Cntr1.gif
    26.1 KB · Views: 162
Thanks! That is what I thought before, but I thought the 193 could just replace the 192. I priced this out, and it is not much more than a pic. If I used a pic I would need a 40 pin and I priced one out and it seemed expensive at $20US. There is also the time involved to write the pic. I can do it but I am very new at it, so slow. I almost think this solution is cheaper and faster.

Thanks! That is what I thought before, but I thought the 193 could just replace the 192. I priced this out, and it is not much more than a pic. If I used a pic I would need a 40 pin and I priced one out and it seemed expensive at $20US. There is also the time involved to write the pic. I can do it but I am very new at it, so slow. I almost think this solution is cheaper and faster.

hi,
I would use a 7805 5Vreg in place of the 78L05 suggested earlier.
I guess you have noticed the BCD are LS192 and the Binary are LS193.

If you dont want a 1 sec auto increment, convert the 555 astable to a monostable and use it to debounce your increment push switch.

I would probably not want the auto increment. I would want up-down though.

This is what you asked for:
I would like it to loop through so start at 00000,00001,00011... end at 11111 and then loop back to 00000.
This circuit does just that.:)

I just completed a project using a PIC16F88 which is in an 18pin DIP. Here is a variant that would work for you that costs only $2.48

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back