Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mosfet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorGnet

I'm having an issue picking a good MOS FET for a project. When looking at the datasheets, what am I looking for when it comes to the gate voltage? I need to pick one that I can power either with a pic pin or a npn transistor.

Also, is it safe to run AC current through one?

I'm having an issue picking a good MOS FET for a project. When looking at the datasheets, what am I looking for when it comes to the gate voltage? I need to pick one that I can power either with a pic pin or a npn transistor.

Also, is it safe to run AC current through one?

Unless it says "LOGIC LEVEL", it requires a gate voltage of 10V to turn it on hard enough to get the advertised ON RESISTANCE. If it does say "logic level", it needs 5V (not 3.3V). If you are running a 3.3V PIC, you will need to do something to get the voltage higher. If doing that, you might as well as use a 10V one, and use a transistor as an intermediate driver.

You cannot run AC because FETs have a "body diode" that would conduct when the drain is the "opposite" polarity.

What kind of load are you switching? Do you have a schematic of your project?

Torben

I'm currently working on a similar project and have not completed this one but it will be a 12vdc 1-10amp load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back