Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Moderators please read and consider this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

Is it just me, or is there a lot of "Please do my homework for me" posts lately? I would like to suggest that a sticky be posted in the electronics forums that states that this site is not intended for GIVEING PEOPLE THE ANSWERERS! Please take this into consideration. I don't know about you people, but it may kill the problem at the source? Unless they need to ask us how to read one the stickies! :) Thank you.

Yeah, I hate those threads 'I need help, urgent!' and the guy needs a project, any project. This forum is full of project ideas, schematics, and circuit descriptions.

Unfortunately, there is no practical way to filter out lazy students, as there are a lot of children wanting to get started in electronics. It's not an easy thing for them, when their parents aren't even sure which end of a soldering pencil to pick up (even after getting burned). Then there are the different languages. English isn't that easy, and learning electronics... got to be a tough one, then some SOB throw's a PIC at them too.

Personally, I'd prefer to know straight off that its a school project, rather than get scammed into helping. I don't think helping out is such a bad thing, just not doing the whole thing. I'm sure everyone had understanding one or two things in school, and need to hear it from several people before it started to make sense.

Even if the students are handed a schematic, the still need to build it, troubleshoot it, and present it to the class. Sure, they take some short cuts, but they'll learn something in the process.

Definition of a university:

Fountain of knowledge where students go to drink.

JimB

Marks256 said:
Is it just me, or is there a lot of "Please do my homework for me" posts lately? I would like to suggest that a sticky be posted in the electronics forums that states that this site is not intended for GIVEING PEOPLE THE ANSWERERS! Please take this into consideration. I don't know about you people, but it may kill the problem at the source? Unless they need to ask us how to read one the stickies! :) Thank you.

If the so called university bum is too lazy to do his own course project, what makes you think he'd take the time to read a sticky thread which otherwise would not interest him?
These types of people immediately stand out as having no interest whatsoever in contributing to the board, normally their desperate plea for help is their first post and they obviously have no intensions of sticking around to contribute positively to anyone elses questions - so I really can't see any of them taking the time to read through all the sticky threads.

Brian

Personally, I refuse to even read a question posted by anyone who doesn't give an indication of the contents of the post, ie. "help me", "need help urgent", "don't know what to do", "I'm lost", "I'm stuck", etc. If the poster can't be bothered to let us know what problem they're having, I simply won't waste my time on them.
JB

So i am not the only one who is cheesed by this? Hmm. I say they get their post(s) deleted. If this is his final exam/project, then why should he need any help? Isn't that degree a four-year degree? If so, then he has had four whole years to learn this stuff. He should be done learning this stuff, and be showing what he knows, not what he can steal.

Marks256 said:
So i am not the only one who is cheesed by this? Hmm. I say they get their post(s) deleted. If this is his final exam/project, then why should he need any help? Isn't that degree a four-year degree? If so, then he has had four whole years to learn this stuff. He should be done learning this stuff, and be showing what he knows, not what he can steal.

Maybe they go to the University of China...

Lets face it guys, when I did my courses we did not have the internet. We were just getting on Apple computers, and shock of shocks we had to take notes at the lectures and we EVEN READ BOOKS......... It is my experiance that you will never be asked to do a project on a subject you had not covered during the year

From what I have seen on here your avarage student dose not take notes, nor listen during classes, and there is no chance they will read a book. After all he can come here and ask people that have been doing the job for 30 years (in my case anyway)

Very rarely in my classes am I able to write the notes and understand what the prof is saying in real-time. It's either I understand what he's saying, write the notes down, but when I get home I forgot what he said and I don't understand what I wrote down. Or, I write the notes down, don't understand the prof and then have to figure it out with my slightly more legible notes and textbooks at home.

For projects I actually found the instructors and TAs very helpful- with one catch, you had to have some idea of what was going on or else you couldn't understand what they were trying to tell you.

THe problem I found isn't so much that the notes are written (though that is often the case), it's that the homework doesn't get done. You can pass the course without writing notes, or listening to the prof, but you have to do the homework!

Last edited:
dknguyen said:
Very rarely in my classes am I able to write the notes and understand what the prof is saying in real-time. It's either I understand what he's saying, write the notes down, but when I get home I forgot what he said and I don't understand what I wrote down. Or, I write the notes down, don't understand the prof and then have to figure it out with my slightly more legible notes and textbooks at home.

For projects I actually found the instructors and TAs very helpful- with one catch, you had to have some idea of what was going on or else you couldn't understand what they were trying to tell you.

Ever compare notes with your classmates? Usually the instructor assigns reading, which is what is discussed in the following class. If you follow the course as instructed, you will already be familiar with the material in the lecture. You take notes on the parts you had the most trouble with. I've had a few instructors backtrack a little, but can't remember one that just picked a random topic to discuss for a lecture.

I wasn't exactly the model student, but did well enough. Usually did homework in some of the more boring and useless subjects the school forced us to take. Teachers thought I was really into the lectures, taking massive notes. I did listen to the lectures, and had no trouble pulling a passing grade.

Also when taking notes, don't try to get down every word, proper grammar, spelling, punctuation (unless its a writing course), just get down what you will need later. You still have your text book and a library, and of course classmates.

Like I posted in another thread, to me it's become entartaining. I can understand and tolerate poor grammar and sentence structure from foreigners, but asking us to virtually do their assignment(s) for them is another thing considering they offer nothing of proof that they've even undergone an effort part way. If the Admin. believes it to be a real problem or waste of bandwidth, let them delete and such, Until then, sit back and chuckle at the slap-stick comedy.

Yes, i would love to "chuckle at the slap-stick comedy", but PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY HELPING THE B@STARDS! If nobody would help them, then i wouldn't mind so much, but the little weasels are getting what they want!?!?!

Marks256 said:
Yes, i would love to "chuckle at the slap-stick comedy", but PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY HELPING THE B@STARDS! If nobody would help them, then i wouldn't mind so much, but the little weasels are getting what they want!?!?!

I'd strongly suggest you to take an anti-aggression-therapy.
And don't call them "bastards"...

I agree... don't call them bastards, you bastage! Who pissed in your Corn Flakes this morning? As far as folks here helping them, I don't see any real efforts being shelled out. The typical response from us is "can you give us more info. to go on", " be more specific with your requirements" and the ever popular reply, "I'll get back to you with a possible answer after I learn the north-central dialect of Botswanland Swahili". :p

Marks256 said:
There's a quote from Star Wars which applies here I think. Who's the bigger fool. The fool, or the fool who follows him?

If people really are helping lazy bums who can't be bothered to do (or even title) their own projects then they're an even bigger fool than the lazy university bum aren't they!

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back