Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

This Roku gadget...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Hi. I have never used one, know peanuts about it.

If I already receive internet television live programming from all the channels I want, do I need a Ruku (Ultra) gadget ? What can the Hulus and the Netflixes and the Vudus and the... give me then? My not-Roku-TV with an ethernet jack receives the internet streaming OK at $0

Last edited:
For a start I would suggest a Firestick rather than a Roku, I've got both - and not used the Roku for years, as the Firestick is far superior.

But TV's aren't 'smart' no matter what the manufacturers claim, and a Firestick is far 'smarter' than any 'smart' TV - but if the TV does everything you want (and you won't know because you can't see what you're missing), then stick with that, until the in-built apps stop working.

It's not usually a question of the apps failing, it's the broadcasters - YouTube for example closed large numbers of their services, and this stopped YouTube working on thousands of TV's. Watching YouTube (or any other app based chanel) on a TV isn't the same as doing so on a computer, they use special limited versions of the content for TV's, and are frequently closed by the broadcaster to save money.

The BBC iPlayer apparently had hundreds of different services, and when they closed a few dozen of them huge numbers of TV's lost the iPlayer service, as happened when YouTube did the same, as happened when ITV did the same etc, etc, etc.

A 'smart' TV is usually a short term device, and gradually becomes less and less 'smart' as services close - a Firestick is far more powerful, and MUCH, MUCH more likely to keep working, as they usually use the 'full' services, and not the cut-down special TV services.

But if you're happy with what you've got?, just don't look what you're missing, and you'll stay happy :D

Wait until you start losing services, then buy a Firestick (or Roku).

Thread tangent ... Probably my age , but I struggle to find anything worth watching on TV. or movies, cannot stand soap, fantasy, super powers, celebrity shows, sport , or fake reality nonsense so don't need a dongle , sky, netflix , BTTV. etc etc. I must be saving millions... :)
nooooo.jpg

Last edited:
Thread tangent ... Probably my age , but I struggle to find anything worth watching on TV. or movies, cannot stand soap, fantasy, super powers, celebrity shows, sport , or fake reality nonsense so don't need a dongle , sky, netflix , BTTV. etc etc. I must be saving millions... :D

The amazing thing is that creating and spreading universal tales made for adults (I hate using the word 'lies') are paid very well while most adults don't mind also paying to hear them (edited: and believe some or most of them as well).

After all, these tales, unlike truths, don't hurt people, in general. (They are usually created by geniuses who know very well how to please their audience in every region).

Anyway, all efforts, mainly for creating regional chaos, bloody conflicts, terror and wars, prevent the world from being a boring place :D :(

Last edited:
If I already receive internet television live programming from all the channels I want, do I need a Ruku (Ultra) gadget ?
No, it's just another scam to get the un-informed to spend money to get what the informed get for $0.

And when the 'smarts' of your 'smart TV' get obsoleted by software changes at the streaming services, plug a laptop in and save the expense of buying another TV.

Here in Australia, TV that are not smart are in high demand because a lot of people don't want them and that's all you can buy new (I think). Just checked and the only none smart TVs are 24".

Mike.

A friend of mine was trying to buy a none smart TV and found they were going for good prices on Facebook Marketplace.

At least, touch wood, you can currently bypass the 'smarts' in Australian TV's by not activating it or turning it off in the menu system - well, the Samsung I bought last year worked that way.
I've never seen one where you could turn the smart features OFF - what would be the point, just don't use them.

So there's no point in hunting for a non-smart TV, as you'll struggle finding one, and probably pay more for it - just ignore the smart features if you don't want them.

I've got a Sony Android TV, I've never used the smart features - I simply plugged a Firestick in and made it a LOT smarter than it was.

No, it's just another scam to get the un-informed to spend money to get what the informed get for $0.

And when the 'smarts' of your 'smart TV' get obsoleted by software changes at the streaming services, plug a laptop in and save the expense of buying another TV.

Rather an expensive, ugly, difficult to use, and crude solution - just plug a Firestick in - job done.

But do it when you first buy the set, don't waste time messing about with useless smart TV features.

My Dutch son-in-law was using a laptop connected to their TV to watch content from a networked computer in their attic - horrible. When I got home I bought a Firestick for him, preloaded it with Kodi and VLC, and posted it out to him - he was suitably impressed, and embarrassed about his previous method. To be fair. Amazon don't really deal in the Netherlands, so a Firestick wouldn't have been easy to source, but I'm sure Roko and other options must be available?.

I've never seen one where you could turn the smart features OFF - what would be the point, just don't use them.
In this house, they are a major privacy concern - they continually talk to various places sending data if you don't turn the smarts off.

As per Pommies post #10, a lot of people don't want a smart TV here in Oz but we don't get a choice.
Rather an expensive, ugly, difficult to use, and crude solution - just plug a Firestick in - job done.
Horses for courses, no more difficult to use with a wireless keyboard from the comfort of your favourite armchair than any other gadget with a remote.

Don't forget, a lot of Firesticks got bricked recently when certain streaming services changed their software.

In this house, they are a major privacy concern - they continually talk to various places sending data if you don't turn the smarts off.

Not here as far as I'm aware, if you don't use the smart features or apps, then they don't send anything. And fairly obviously, if you don't connect to your internet, then it won't be able to send anything :D

If you're talking about sets with built-in Alexa etc. then it will sent data when you trigger it. Perhaps yopu're a conspiracy theorist who imagines Alexa sends every thing you say back to Amazon?.

Don't forget, a lot of Firesticks got bricked recently when certain streaming services changed their software.

There's been no such issues over here, the only issues are broadcasters etc. closing their services - but as Firesticks usually connect to their main services (and not the limited smart TV ones) then it's unlikely to happen. If services change their software?, then it's highly likely that they would update the Firestick app, as the user base is so massive.

I would also disagree with your 'bricked' suggestion, which means the device is completely unusable - and usually that it won't even boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back