Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring the speed of light or radio waves without an oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

resurgence2012

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum.

I am teaching high school science and I have been trying to find a simple, accurate and cost effective way to measure th speed of light.

I know that it can be done easily with a 100 MHz oscilloscope, pulsed laser and photodiode. However, my school does not have these resources, so I have been trying to find an easier, and cheaper way.

I considered trying to recreate the experiment done by Fizeau, where he used a rotating cog wheel, as a beam chopper and shone a light some 15 km before reflecting it back at the same cog wheel. I like this apparent simplicity of this approach, and it is also fairly easy for younger students to understand.

However, this method still seems to present a number of difficulties: manufacturing the disc, obtaining a fast enough motor, setting and aligning the optics, etc.

So more recently I was considering building a circuit that could be used to pulse a laser at say 20KHz, splitting the beam, and after send one half of the beam 300 meters, using a phase detector circuit like an XOR gate to detect the phase difference of the pulses, and using that, together with a knolwedge of their frequency, to calculate the time of flight. Of course this defeats my aim of having younger students or ideed 99% of my older students understand what's happening.

Notwithstanding, given the suggested frequencies etc, and a time delay of about one micro second, could I use a CD4046 CMOS? If so could anyone point me in the direction of a reliable easy to follow circuit diagram?

Alternatively, does anyone have any other suggestions for doing this experiment, perhaps more easily, but more accurately than just sticking a bar of chocolate in a microwave oven and measuring the distance between the hot spots?

Then again how difficult is it to build a stop watch that can literally measure times as short as a few nano seconds. Is there a way of doing this 'crudely' with a simple high speed RC circuit a couple of photodiodes and a very fast flip flop. Charge up the capacitor, send a sinlge pulse from a laser that first goes to a beam solitude. First half of singalong goes to flip flop which triggers the discharge of your capacitor through its associate resistor. The second half of the laser's pulse goes the length and back again of the school's playing field and hit the second photodiode which switches the capacitor off from further discharge and simulataneously contact to something that can measure the remaining voltage across the capacitor as indication of the te
Of flight. This feels like it could be the simplest and most elegant solution, but really I have no idea if it can be made to work

Thank you very much for your patience in reading this and any thoughts or ideas you share.

Cheers Peter

As I recall speed of light is 286,000. miles per second in space. 139,000. miles per second in water. I don't remember the speed of light through mud.

As I recall speed of light is 286,000. miles per second in space. 139,000. miles per second in water. I don't remember the speed of light through mud.
It's 186,000 MPH is space, and what does the speed of light in mud have to do with anything? :confused:

High school science, then it is through mud.

A radar gun will bounce RF (radio frequencies) back to you. The car's speed causes the returning RF to move up or down in frequency by how fast the car is moving. Some radar guns allowed you to hear the difference of frequency. By measuring the 'audio' tone form the radar gun, knowing the car's speed the speed of radio waves could be measured. (some 'radar guns' do not use RF but use light)

Just a thought.

I like your XOR gate idea. A crystal oscillator (16 MHz or so) with accurately known frequency, made to generate a pure square wave using a toggle flip-flop. The XOR gate can be the fast G series logic like the PO74G86A, to minimize uncertainty due to gate delay. The output of the XOR gate can feed a series RC integrator from which the phase (time) delay can be measured with an accurate, high impedance voltmeter; zero volts for no delay, logic 1 level for 1/(2*f) delay. A few small sources of error there, but still fairly cheap, reasonably accurate, and simple and not too difficult to understand, in my opinion.

Your last idea needs very precisely known values for and high quality R and C, something hard to achieve with a capacitor unless you hand calibrate the setup with a precision variable frequency signal generator (not cheap).

Last edited:
I know you want to measure the speed of light but.................
The process of measuring anything and doing it in a scientific way is a learning event.
The process of finding many ways of doing a test is a learning event.
What about measuring the speed of sound?

The "Foucault" method is propably the simplest and most interesting methods I have seen. At my university we used a "hand held wood milling tool" fixed to a table and a mirror attached to the drill. We were able to measure the speed of light using a simple ruler (distance between two laser spots).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Speed_of_light_(foucault).PNG

Last edited:
Hi Mr T

I am very interested in the Facault method as you have described it. I did try this method, but was not successful.

I had a nice mirror mounted on a motor which could rotate at speeds between about 100hz - 1000 Hz. Use a beam splitter and try to reflect the beam back across a room about 10 meters across.

The problem was I just could not find the reflected spot of light. I could just about get it to focus on to the rotating mirror with the mirror stationary, but once the mirror
was rotating I could not find it. I wondered if I should try using a higher powered laser. I have now got a 2000 mw green laser - would that do the job?

I saw that Pasco sell the equipment to do this method for 5000 US dollars! Elsewhere I read other people saying that it was notoriously difficult to set up and align properly even with good optics. So at that point I abandoned that method.

However, if you can share how you did it at your University in more detail I would really like to try it again. For example, what size of mirror did you use for the rotating mirror and the type and size of mirror used as the fixed mirror. And the system of lenses used for re-focussing then spot of light and the strength of the laser.

Ha ha - I hope you can appreciate that with many experiments it is pretty difficult to imagine how it all comes together. I am working on my own and spent a long time trying to find anything on the Internet that gives detailed information. I keep getting the instruction manual for Pascos apparatus but without any photos. So I am still kind of working in the dark - tried you tube also.

Thanks Peter

Last edited:
Hi Peter. It is ten years since I used the setup for measuring light. It is a first year lab for students and the equipment is set up by the physics lab staff. I believe that they have set it up once and never taken it apart (because it needs to be very accurately set up). And sorry I mistakenly said that we measured the distance with a ruler.. we actually used a micrometer, but you can still do the measurement with naked eye.

Here is a Finnish version of the lab-assignment. I hope at least the illustration is useful to you. I can translate parts of it if you wish. (Google translator was no bad looking either).
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/04/20.pdf
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/04/tyo20.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that. I really suspect that using an optical beam
chopper would be simpler these day and quite possibly more accurate. When Fizeau first did his experiment using a rotating cog wheel I understand that it was the first reasonable accurate.

I don't know what it is about this project but I have been playing with it almost obsessively for about 5 months. I find it interesting because it keeps leading me to explore new technologies. I found out, for example, a Swiss company thatmanufactures a brushless motor that rotates at one million rpm! it was a bit expensive though.

if i had a classroom available say 30m, i would put 2 mirrors parallel, and shine my laser into one where the beam would bounce between them several dozen times, 30*48, which would bring your period to about 5us, which would make using photosensors readable with a microcontroller,

if you need even more time; make it go furthur, just add more sides to your shape, ie, use mirrors as square,

in theory of course..

I had started to wonder about using a micro controller. I have never worked with these before, so I am not quite sure how to get started. *

I do have a very powerful green laser which claims to be able to travel up to 15 km. *Well even allowing for manufacturers exaggerated claims I should think that 3km is very achievable

if i had a classroom available say 30m, i would put 2 mirrors parallel, and shine my laser into one where the beam would bounce between them several dozen times, 30*48, which would bring your period to about 5us, which would make using photosensors readable with a microcontroller,

if you need even more time; make it go furthur, just add more sides to your shape, ie, use mirrors as square,

in theory of course..

This is a good idea. Not too difficult to set up. Of course the mirrors need to be good quality.. straight and not the kind that creates double reflection (because light goes through glass before reflecting).

This is a good idea. Not too difficult to set up. Of course the mirrors need to be good quality.. straight and not the kind that creates double reflection (because light goes through glass before reflecting).
That's called a front-surface mirror. :)

That's called a front-surface mirror. :)

Thanks I didn't even know the Finnish word for it so I had trouble finding the English one :)

You can make you own front surface mirrors I haven seen by using paint stripper to carefully remove the paint from the rear side of the glass. Apparently if you do this carefully enough you can uncover the pristine metal reflective coating.

Been trying to find out more about the arduino and other mico-controllers about which I honestly know next to nothing. I think I would really have to start right at the beginning
with these. I have read elsewhere people trying to do similar things with arduino and but most of the discussions seem to be suggesting that it would be impossible to get an accurate measurement because the operating frequency is too low.

It kind of surprises me that in this day and age with so much high tech geer out there, that one can't just buy a nano second stop watch (other than of course an oscilloscope ) cheers Peter

come to think of it, if you used 2photoswitches, one for start and one for stop, couldn't he use a counter circuit with a high speed clock? the first counter i looked up could go up to 30Mhz,

come to think of it, if you used 2photoswitches, one for start and one for stop, couldn't he use a counter circuit with a high speed clock? the first counter i looked up could go up to 30Mhz,

Can you post a link to that counter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back