Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measure tide / swell

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuee

Hi,
I want to make something to measure swell and tides. Im messing with Raspberry pi 3 and have other sensors working but not sure how to do this one.

The tides mainly go from .0.3m to 4.5m and swell -2m > +2m

I was thinking of a floating sealed ball with an altimeter inside and also temp probe out the bottom a little.

After reading up how altimeters work is on pressure but if its inside a sealed ball would it not work properly, even when it gets warm and may increase the ball pressure a bit.

Am i thinking correct and if so what can it do or anything else i can try?

thanks for your help.

hi,
Tides are usually measured with submerged pressure sensors connected to electronics using a cable with an air tube., swell can also be measured in the same way.

E
What is your location.

If you can get an accurate enough gps receiver you might be able to do it measuring altitude.

hi,
The sensor is a thin metal diaphragm, one face is exposed to the sea water and the other face exposed to the surface air pressure by means of the air tube.
It is a differential sensor, which compensates for the ambient air pressure which effects the tide/water height.

The sensor sensor is suspended in the water at a depth below the lowest expected level.
In the UK we used sensors 1Bar upto 2.5Bar [ ~ 10mtrs to 25mtrs]

E

hi,
The sensor is a thin metal diaphragm, one face is exposed to the sea water and the other face exposed to the surface air pressure by means of the air tube.
It is a differential sensor, which compensates for the ambient air pressure which effects the tide/water height.

The sensor sensor is suspended in the water at a depth below the lowest expected level.
In the UK we used sensors 1Bar upto 2.5Bar [ ~ 10mtrs to 25mtrs]

E

Hola Eric,

IIRC that was the system used in a vessel to get continuous draft readings even when underway.

How do you get the average value to catter for swell?

hola,
For swell we used 3 axis Heave compensation onboard the Survey/Dredging vessel and applied correction to the water depth measured by the echo sounder in order to get a 'true' depth.

For a quay wall fixed tidal sensor we used tide height averaging .

In some underwater pipe laying projects we had to measure wave heights.

Eric

Hi

I've been playing with this recently, which you might find interesting in parts .. https://njhurst.com/electronics/watersensor/

S
hi,
One of the downside of capacitance and resistive sensors was the build up of algae and other crud on the face of the sensors.

A simple fixed height sensor can be made with a ultrasonic surface sounder located inside a stilling tube/well [ a bit of plastic drain pipe works OK].
Using a piece of pipe, a float/counter weight with a cord turning a potentiometer was used in the olden days
E

Hi Eric .. .. .

One of the downside of capacitance and resistive sensors was the build up of algae and other crud on the face of the sensors.

A simple fixed height sensor can be made with a ultrasonic surface sounder located inside a stilling tube/well

Yes, I've been reading about the issues and problems caused by build up of algae and the like. I've also read a bit about an ultrasonic solution. For my own purposes I'm actually looking for the means to assess the contents of a fairly modest tank that holds clean water, which is drained and replenished regularly.

I've had a play with capacitive probes with some fairly indifferent results so far, but I'm waiting on the arrival of some bits & pieces to make a more proficient probe. I've also got some ultrasonics on order, but there seems to be an issue with condensation moisture causing circuit failure. There is a solution but it is very expensive.

I wouldn't suggest that the article I appended will offer any solution, but it is a good place to start when discovering the pitfalls.

S

Yes so long as the plastic doesnt contain metal, some abs does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back