Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Life....

Status
Not open for further replies.
See tvtech, you're not alone. Everyone at one point or another is going to be forced to work with incompetent people, and as I'm sure you know it has nothing to do with race. I realize your frustrations are compounded due to poor living conditions and the state of the government where you are.Matt

Thanks Matt :)

In my situation there are NO trained people left here in the CRT tv game. Hence my never ending frustration of trying to train people to help me but they do not know the absolute basics even.

So, that's why, I am going to teach the procedure I referred to earlier in the thread. And see how that goes.

Regards,
tv

Update....SUCCESS:):):)

Six Months of intensive training for a guy we employed here.

I said to the owner then that I need help and someone working next to me that I can teach. Someone that has the basic skills like soldering neatly and not making a mess.....Someone that wants to learn all about CRT repair and is genuinely interested.

So he found a 28 year old local who had done some hit and miss TV repairs on his own and employed him on a temporary basis to see how things go..

Remember: even the very basics like Resistor color codes are not known to the kind of individual employed......:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

First Week.....he without any training from me yet managed to fix a few sets on his own while I watched and analyzed him. Simply sat next to him and watched the way he did things.
Second Week.....Gently I started saying for example: "Why did you do that?". So he explained why......
And that is where I started training him to think differently to anything and everything he had taught himself or had been shown before.
I made a deal with him. I said I was prepared to share 25 Years of CRT repair experience with him and not hold anything back provided he writes all I teach him down and asks questions if he is not quite sure about what he has just been taught...

And so he has picked up speed. Slowly at first but then it got quicker and quicker.

Still no Resistor color codes yet....obviously no scope knowledge about waveforms and any idea about how a TV really works...but yes..he is progressing nicely and at this stage I reckon I have done well with what I started out with.

He is not so much "monkey see, monkey do" anymore. He has gone way beyond that and I feel kinda proud that I was part of the journey and at last found a local who I can share my CRT stuff with. I have been blessed :):):):):):)

Love you ETO,
tv

Welcome back, tvtech

Glad to hear some positive news.

^^^^ LOL Jim

My mind is better. My soul is better. I can make a difference now and be more positive :):):)

Gotta love ETO:)

tv

Welcome back. Stay healthy and positive. I was a bit worried about your absence.,

John

Welcome back. Stay healthy and positive. I was a bit worried about your absence.,

John

Hi John

You made me think. And do the stuff I promised and carry it through.

I might not of liked what you said...but my training worked wonders in the environment here. I have big plans for my Trainee now in the New Year. I have a LOT more to teach him.

How cool is that?
tv

Last edited:
Still no Resistor color codes yet...

Years ago I landed a copier repair technicians job largely because I was the only person interviewed who wrote up the whole resistor color code on the back of one of the schematics and circuitry test papers so I had a cheat point to use on figuring out the circuit values. :D

Fun job, good customers, and a great manager but the company owner was greedy and cheap as hell so pay wasn't worth crap despite the ridiculous prices we were charging customers. :(

Welcome back! Missed your ranting. We have a new, very active, member, "spec".
Now, we just have to figure out what happened to 4pyros?

Very good to see you back, tv. Especially after the successful and heartening story you related.

Much more to come CBB....I am going to get my Trainee up to waveforms, CRT basics and all else. Thinking about it....there are ONLY two waveforms that a CRT Tech needs to be able to recognize....namely the Line and Frame pulses. When either of them goes missing....or is wrong...gotta find the source.

And check what is happening. Is the Jungle IC even giving the H/V pulse..is it even working. Or even switched on.

So....waay beyond MSMD "monkey see monkey do". This guy has the potential to lead and I am right at his side:)

tv

Yeah, spec is active and friendly, helpful too which is nice plus (dunno if I placed them on right order though....:)...
Thinking about it....there are ONLY two waveforms that a CRT Tech needs to be able to recognize....namely the Line and Frame pulses.
This sounds interesting, toss me an PM or similar? I'm still leraning y'know :)

Yeah, spec is active and friendly, helpful too which is nice plus (dunno if I placed them on right order though....:)...

This sounds interesting, toss me an PM or similar? I'm still leraning y'know :)

Hi Fez

In the (older days) we had to know all sorts of CRT waveforms. With all the junk I see being dumped here now....color problem....probably on the wrong setting...as in NTSC or something else. No scope needed for that.

I probably use a scope maybe 5X a year.....that's all. No other reason to anymore.

I fixed around 8000+ sets here in the last few years. So I probably know my **** (so to speak :))

Stay well buddy :)

And my Trainee is absolutely flying through sets. No wastage, thinks before he does anything. And I am so proud of him. And the owner has seen and is kinda gobsmacked...at my insistence my Trainee is going to receive the reward he deserves...higher pay plus commission per set repaired...he is after all a younger version of....I was just like him. Listen, understand, do. Ask questions. Be genuinely interested and simply do your best :)

Such a rewarding seven Months for me:)

tv

Interestingly my daughter has just been offered 3 months internship in South Africa, which would extend her Chemistry Phd by 3 months, which the University is happy to do.

However, she's turned it down - for a number of reasons.

1) It's not got any relevance to what she's currently doing, nor anything she's considering doing after her Phd.

2) It's not the safest country in the world to live for 3 months :D

3) Talking to other students who have done the same, the guy you work for out there is a complete and utter prat! :p

Sounds great tech. I just bought 180m paracord (6x30m), seems fun stuff to play with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back