Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

led timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

salutka

Hello everyone,

I'm starting a project and I don't quite know where to start. I've browsed through this forum a bit but could not find my exact situation... Anyways I need in my car an led that turns on for 6 seconds. It has to come on when the key is in the on position, stays on for 6 seconds, turns off and stays off until I turn the key back on. I think the 555 timer might work but I know nothing about that chip. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thank you.

a monostable 555 timer will probably do the trick in your case.

check this link out: ht tp://ww w.eleinm ec.c om/article.asp?4
(i can't post urls, so remove the spaces)

for an on time of about 6 seconds, you can use a 470uF capacitor and a 12Kohm resistor.

Thanks for the info!

I drew up the circuit for final revision but I do have some questions, If the trigger pin is wired directly to the 0v, will the 555 timer run its cycle the moment it gets power? Also I assume that the output will be the same voltage as the VS?

Hope it's good.

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    8.4 KB · Views: 165
Hi salutka,

you don't need to use a big electrolytic cap for the circuit. Reduce the capacity to 10µF and use a resistor of 570KΩ instead of 12KΩ.

The exact resistance value 546.1KΩi s achieved best by using a combination of a fixed value resistor (470KΩ) and a trimmable resistor of 100KΩ.

570KΩ will result in a time out of 6.262seconds. For an electrolytic I suggest to use a tantalum type capacitor.

Don't forget to smoothen the alternator voltage. (Not included in the schematic)

Boncuk

P.S. There is a small error in the schematic. The total resistance value has to be 546.1K.

Attachments

• MONO.gif
    MONO.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
So the IN with the 6.8k resistor and the TP1 have to be connected to the 12v?
And is your mistake the leg #1 of your variable resistor?

So the IN with the 6.8k resistor and the TP1 have to be connected to the 12v?
And is your mistake the leg #1 of your variable resistor?

TP1 goes to the positive battery terminal and IN goes to the key switch.

Hi salutka,

you don't need to use a big electrolytic cap for the circuit. Reduce the capacity to 10µF and use a resistor of 570KΩ instead of 12KΩ.

The exact resistance value 546.1KΩi s achieved best by using a combination of a fixed value resistor (470KΩ) and a trimmable resistor of 100KΩ.

570KΩ will result in a time out of 6.262seconds. For an electrolytic I suggest to use a tantalum type capacitor.

Don't forget to smoothen the alternator voltage. (Not included in the schematic)

Boncuk

P.S. There is a small error in the schematic. The total resistance value has to be 546.1K.
570kΩ is not a standard value, the nearest standard value to 546.1k is 549k which is a 1% tolerance resistor.

In practise, there's no point in using such a precise resistor value because the 10µF capacitor will be 10% at best so use a 560k resistor.

Ah I see so every time the trigger gets a signal it restarts its cycle.

Well thanks a bunch for all your help.

I will keep you posted.

570kΩ is not a standard value, the nearest standard value to 546.1k is 549k which is a 1% tolerance resistor.

In practise, there's no point in using such a precise resistor value because the 10µF capacitor will be 10% at best so use a 560k resistor.

My statement was: 470K + 100K (not 570K as a single resistor). To compensate for capacitance deviations he should use the circuit as is - with a trimmable resistor.

I have a problem with my timer, I have it connected to a clean 12v power supply, it performs great for the first five minutes then it stars to blink constantly, if I kill the power for 1/2 hour and start it again it works for the first five minutes. Any suggestions?

change the capacitor

it could be that you have a monday morning capacitor that sliped through the quality control

Robert-Jan

change the capacitor

it could be that you have a monday morning capacitor that sliped through the quality control

Robert-Jan

could as well be his private "monday morning". Electrolytic capacitors don't like reverse charging at all! :D

Go check it!

Hans

Turns out it was my Monday morning capacitor, btw the circuit works great.

Thank you all so much for your time and help, I really appreciate it!

Turns out it was my Monday morning capacitor, btw the circuit works great.

Thank you all so much for your time and help, I really appreciate it!

Always triple-check!

:D

I know its been a while but I'm having problems with this circuit, the major one is that when the transistor brings the trigger to 0V for more than 6 seconds the output remains high. I know the circuit works because if I send voltage to the transistor the timer outputs 11v for 6 seconds. Another problem, but not that major is the transistor is too sensitive, meaning that even if I just touch the base (2n3904) with my finger it triggers, so I think I would need a way to stabilize and filter it. One more thing I used a 6.2k instead of a 6.8k on the base, I don't think it makes that big of a deal but U never know. Thanks.

Timer

The 555 doesn't like to have the trigger input low when it times out and will re-trigger. You could fix that by AC coupling the trigger to develop a short pulse. The sensitivity is probably because the the base of the transistor is "floating" when the key is off. This could be fixed with a resistor from the base to ground - say 20K.
You might consider the circuit below. It triggers only once when the key is turned on and only draws power when the key is on.

Attachments

• PWR Timer.PNG
    PWR Timer.PNG
    71 KB · Views: 137
I'm not familiar with AC coupling and the "V1" component in your design. I see you kept every thing as-is pretty much, so your design will be easy to implement. If you can send me a part number I would really appreciate it! Thanks.

V1 is just there for the simulation. Connect your key switch to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back