Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED flasher does not work need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I ready don't spend time typing this stuff up for my health. As I stated already - I don't know anything additional:

View attachment 116285

2. Why would you remove the LED and leave the module powered? That makes ZERO sense.

I have a photo conductive cell the size of a quarter with no part number and NO SUN to test it. Rain and over cast most of the winter if I could get 5 minutes of sunlight I could learn how it works. If it becomes high resistance in the sun then maybe I can wire it in series with the LED that would be the same thing as removing the LED from a running circuit. Maybe it be better wired in a different part of the circuit. I will look at datasheet for 1 with a part number.

I wish I had a simulator that would be great last time I tried to buy one it was $500. There use to me an online simulator with limited use I used it some the only thing I was every able to use it on was 555 ICs. I wired circuits like my TTL book shows the signal never matched the book.

All PNP transistors are not equal. Some from old TVs will not work in this circuit even though meter says transistor is good. I ordered 100 PNP transistors.

Found a simulator that looks like it works but i can't find transistors yet. Need to go, be back later.

Last edited:
I often take my laptop to McDonald's, buy lunch and work away for a while.

This, I think is the guy that has asked a couple of times how he can get free WI-FI from McDonalds from his house, without going there. How to make a long range WI-FI antenna.

All the simulators want me to register. One let me make a circuit with 1 transistor and 1 resistor then it refused to let me continue until I register.

An LDR is the size of a pencil, not huge like a quarter. It is about 600 ohms in bright sunlight and a few Megohms in the dark but an LED with a 6V supply and a 600 ohm series current limiting resistor will be fairly dim. The LDR can turn on an NPN transistor that can turn on a much brighter LED. The LDR can turn off a PNP transistor that can turn off the LED when there is bright sunlight on the LDR.

All the simulators want me to register. One let me make a circuit with 1 transistor and 1 resistor then it refused to let me continue until I register.
gary, have you tried TINA TI? (Texas Instruments SIM).

The free version has, as you'd expect, limitations, but it's a start... :happy:.

An LDR is the size of a pencil, not huge like a quarter. It is about 600 ohms in bright sunlight and a few Megohms in the dark but an LED with a 6V supply and a 600 ohm series current limiting resistor will be fairly dim. The LDR can turn on an NPN transistor that can turn on a much brighter LED. The LDR can turn off a PNP transistor that can turn off the LED when there is bright sunlight on the LDR.

Here it is. It is actually a bit larger than a quarter. I have had this 40 years. OK so this device is called an LDR good to know, it measures 40,000. ohms with no light. With a 100 watt incandescent light bulb shining on it, it measures 40 ohms. With my police spot light shining on it, it measures 39 ohms. What will SUN light do to it? This is backwards low resistance in sunlight will turn the blinker circuit ON. I need a reversing circuit, that uses less power than 1 LED blinking 15 hours.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
A suitable small LDR between emitter and base of a transistor, plus a high value resistor from base to power, form an on-when-dark switch.

Or use the LDR to turn on a transistor that in turn grounds the base of another transistor, eg. on in the LED multivibrator.

For low power consumption it needs a small, low-leakage LDR (that won't take much current when dark) and a high value bias resistor, as power is drawn through that resistor in the daylight / device off state.

The old versions of these roadworks warning lights had a simple two transistor schmitt trigger with a resistor and LDR divider connected to a capacitor at the input that turned the filament lamp on or off.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...WGR_WhFPuo0_TEdXW2CKkf05Z1kto3VXkn6TxqoGeJXLP

They stay off when ambient light is high enough, or turn on when it gets dark - then immediately turn themselves off again, until the RC network recharges and reaches the schmitt trigger threshold again, so they flash when its dark.

My old solar garden lights used an LDR the size of a pencil. They failed in about 2 years because they were Chinese and got sunburned.
Your LDR or a smaller newer one can turn off a transistor when sun shines on it then the transistor turns on your LED flasher circuit when it is dark.

I have learned if I cut a 2.5" x 3.5" blocks of wood from 2x4 boards then paint them black, drill hole front & center, attach it to a tree with a screw, it looks like a camera from 5 to 40 ft away in the dark with a flash light. I also learned the 1 light red LED flasher is more noticeable in the dark the the 2 light red LED flasher. If I replace 1 of the 2 red LEDs on the 2 light flasher with, yellow, green or white LED it becomes more noticeable than the 1 light LED flasher. Next thing I learned if I set the 2 AA battery pack on top of the fake camper with the 2 LED lights hanging over the front of the fake camera it looks like some type security camera with a red & yellow flashing light in the dark. Turns out the 2 light multi color LED flasher is more noticeable after dark than a single light LED flasher. I have not tried a single white LED flasher yet it may be the most noticeable after dark.

Last night I managed to sleep 5 hours, my legs hurt me so bad I had to get out of bed. I was setting at the kitchen table drinking some red wine in the dark so I could sleep 2 or 3 more hours when a pickup truck with no lights pulled into our driveway and parked next to our camper trailer. The truck must have had its lights off before pulling into the driveway or I would have seen it. The truck was parked in the driveway several minutes about 30 ft from me. No lights, I don't see anyone smoking a cigarette in the dark, can't see how many people are in the truck. A few minutes later truck backed down the driveway and drove away with lights off. About 1/2 block away truck lights came on. This is very suspicious.

Tennessee state law does not require anyone to have a title for their camper trailer and if you never leave the state you are not required to have trailer tags. This makes it very easy for people to steal campers then resell them and never get caught. Our camper trailer sets 40 ft from the house all the time very easy to see from the street.

Today I am on a mission to make 8 black color wooden blocks to screw to the side of trees then make 8 LED multi color flashers to put with the fake cameras.

Walmart has motion detector hunting video cameras $28 each. These cameras only video when they detect movement. I'm not sure video quality is good enough to get tag numbers on a vehicle. I don't understand why video quality is so poor on security cameras, I assume they are made to sell, not make to catch criminals. These cameras are very popular with deer hunters my friend has several that is how I learned about them.

Last edited:
I think gary350 's time might be better spent looking for a house in a safer neighborhood.

I think gary350 's time might be better spent looking for a house in a safer neighborhood.

If you pay the $30,000. real estate fees and pay moving company to move us, WE will move. I am doing educational research. If a person lives on a busy road where 1000 cars drive past the house every day there is a high chance 1 of those cars is a bad guy looking for something to steal. This was a nice quiet neighbor hood when we moved here 3 years ago but now, Developers are building 140 new houses across the highway, behind the house 20 acres is becoming several high rise apartment buildings, up the road 50 acres is becoming an Ethanol refinery. The 2 lane road is going to become 4 lanes with turning lanes. Developers are already interested in buying all the houses in this neighborhood when time is right we might be able to sell for a lot more than we paid. There is about 20 or 30 acres of land behind this neighborhood that cannot be developed because this neighborhood is the only access to the land, the river and interstate I-24 is on the other side.

Last edited:
I have been in my very safe neighbourhood for 33 years. It was farmers fields before I bought my home here. Its value has risen 8.7 times.
They built a huge international airport, a large hospital, parks, shopping malls, grocery stores, gas stations, a highway and a huge police station. The police station has jails for all the criminals with guns that come across the border from your odd country.

Mexico is far away from Canada so the bad Mexicans go to the US and the bad guns guys from Trumpland go to Canada.

Comment removed thanks to a personal attack by gophert. I will not longer be a target.

Last edited:
You Canadians pretend to be so nice.... if that's true, why do you need a Loony to release a shopping cart??? ;)

Did you not get your Loony back when you returned your cart? Good relationships are built on everyone keeping their end of the deal. Nice people don't like confrontation so one ?Loony prevents any confrontation - and is, apparently, enough to encourage people to keep their end of the bargain.

Comment removed thanks to a personal attack by gophert. I will not longer be a target.

Last edited:
You Canadians pretend to be so nice.... if that's true, why do you need a Loony to release a shopping cart??? ;)
If you are honest and return your cart, you get your Looney back. It helps avoid those lazy people that leave their shopping carts all over the parking lot. That said, some people rather lose a dollar than return the cart. Those poor employees that have to gather the cards then get a tip...

I return my carts without any need for bribery. This seems to be a Canadian thing, but at least it doesn't take much incentive.

The first man to be bribed with his own money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back