Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Latch release?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wod

Hi,
Complete newby to electronics, but have a basic understanding. Have an idea for a little project and tried searching the net and couldn't find a component or its technical term, what I am after is a component that when built into a basic battery operated circuit works as a "release" in that when the circuit is off the (say for instance pencil) is held, but when the circuit is switched on, the component (possibly a claw) opens to release what it is holding. Not sure of its technical term, so having difficulty finding anywhere that stock such an item.

Thanks in advance! and sorry for the crude nature of the question.

That's not really an electronics question, it's a mechnical question. The electrical part is probably going to be a solenoid. So you'd basically make a mechanical device that is spring loaded closed, and attach the solenoid so that when power is applied the solenoid pulls the hand open. Robotics sites will likely have something that should work for you, some users here may be able to point you in the right direction, or you can hunt around using Google for a bit.

Cheers for the reply, posted it in the robotics section, hopefully someone will know what I'm on about and put me out of my misery.

I think they are referred to as "grippers" in robotics. May help in your search. :)

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back