Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

JK flip flop function table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parth86

please help me to understand function table of JK flip flop positive edge

J K C Q
--------------
0 0 0 ?
0 1 ↑ ?
1 0 1 ?
1 1 ↓ ?

↑ clock is raising
↓ clock is falling
0 clock is low
1 clock is high

what will be the value of Q

For a JK flip-flop:
Q goes to 1 when J is 1 after the appropriate clock edge and stay there.
Q goes to 0 when K is 1 after the appropriate clock edge and stay there.
Q alternates its state when both J and K are 1 after the appropriate clock edge.

You need to know whether the FF changes state on the rising edge or the falling edge of the clock. Knowing that, you can then complete the table from what is stated above.

JK flip flop with J and K tied together is like a D type ff
If one of the inputs is tied to one of the outputs, i forget which, it behaves like a toggle flip flop.
Wiki is good on jk ff's

JK flip flop with J and K tied together is like a D type ff
If one of the inputs is tied to one of the outputs, i forget which, it behaves like a toggle flip flop.
Wiki is good on jk ff's
You tie the D input to the /Q output to get it to toggle.

For a JK flip-flop:
Q alternates its state when both J and K are 1 after the appropriate clock edge.

You need to know whether the FF changes state on the rising edge or the falling edge of the clock. Knowing that, you can then complete the table from what is stated above.
its jk flip flop with positive edge triggered flip flop
I know the function table of D flip flop when clock is raising the Q will be same as D input other wise no change
but what about JK flip flop

Look again at what I posted. It tells you want the JK FF does after the rising edge of the clock. By "stay there" I mean there's no change for further transitions of the clock.

For a JK flip-flop:

J K C Q
--------------
0 0 0 ?
0 1 ↑ ? here clock is raising
1 0 1 ?
1 1 ↓ ?

you said Q goes to 0 when K is 1 that means Q become 0 when K =1

you said Q goes to 0 when K is 1 that means Q become 0 when K =1
Yes, "goes to 0" and "becomes 0" mean the same thing.

You tie the D input to the /Q output to get it to toggle.
J K C Q Q0
--------------
0 0 ↑ 0 1
0 1 ↑ Q Q0
1 0 ↑ Q Q0
1 1 ↑ 1 0

is it correct ?
No. My quote above is for a D type FF. It does not apply to a JK FF. Look again at my explanation for the JK FF.

For a JK flip-flop:

J K C Q Q0
--------------
0 0 ↑
0 1 ↑ 0 Q goes to 0 when K is 1 after the appropriate clock edge and stay there.
1 0 ↑ 1 Q goes to 1 when J is 1 after the appropriate clock edge and stay there.
1 1 ↑

J K C Q Q0
--------------
0 0 ↑
0 1 ↑ 0 Q goes to 0 when K is 1 after the appropriate clock edge and stay there.
1 0 ↑ 1 Q goes to 1 when J is 1 after the appropriate clock edge and stay there.
1 1 ↑
You are correct as far as you go. Here is the completed table

J K C Q Qo
0 0 ↑ Q Qo No change
0 1 ↑ 0 1
1 0 ↑ 1 0
1 1 ↑ Qo Q Changes state (toggles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back