Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analog circuit for current reversal based on shunt-resistor current direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonEM

A big thanks to each responder on this closed thread... https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/decode-voltage-polarity-to-toggle-a-flip-flop.161667/

Newbie concept schematic needing solution for driving totem gates with a signal on either side of neutral.

I sold my home and moved --and went for months without internet access. It was awful I tell ya... now back to the amateur project...

Recap of the project (a concept schematic follows): (What my design concepts are)

1) A discrete circuit with no digital IC chips (hopefully) to allow learning curve on circuit simulation and understanding the nitty gritty (to be able to know how to version the circuit from test results).

2) Operation from dual power supply rails, with a totem-pole output current that sinks to a neutral buss between the dual power supply rails.

3) Zero voltage averaging or integrating components...this circuit supplies data for an experiment, and this is critical. I.e., maximized switching, no capacitors in the output or input. (Newbie thoughts that have slowly evolved from my last attempt in 2021.)

4) Maximized for speed on the leading-edge of the signal-throughput. The circuit is an inverter, that outputs the opposite voltage sensed on an input shunt resistor.

This circuit is a concept schematic, I'm not trained, and work best with concepts... PLEASE NOTE: The concepts are set in stone, and the implementation of the exact concept is the entire basis of the experiment --a later experimental phase continues once the oscillator is completed. Not discussed here, but see the p.s. (I'm open for confabs in the science aspects of timing analysis.)

Big thanks in advance from an old retired fellow, almost autistic; intelligent, sensitive, and vulnerable. But pretty dumb on electronic designs (yet).

hexatron_phase_cell.png

Please notice --the gate drivers of the MOSFET totem pole inputs are believed to be wrong. I hope to learn to simulate this before ordering parts... but I'm hoping for more confidence from this community.

I was very impressed to discover 11 responses to my thread back in 2021! Thanks all!

Circuit discussion from the concept level...

A totem output will reverse current when a latching discrete transistor flip-flop is toggled by a pair of long-tailed comparators that set the switching thresholds for current-levels sensed at the shunt resistor.

The circuit illustrated is connected in a ring of three, to implement a ring oscillation.

The current drives a magnetic coil, and the operating average ring frequency is optimized to be mostly the inductive load of 40 feet of copper tube on a donut. Three copper windings (120 feet total) implement a 3-phase oscillation of magnetic fields that are mostly (and randomized) center frequency determined by the natural inductance of the copper elements.

My problem at comprehending: The shunt-resistor will produce positive and negative signals as the current toggles directions. So, the reversing logic needs to be inherent in the analog design with discrete components, and essentially be logic levels of positive rail and the negative rail.

Dual-voltage discrete transistor flip-flops seems appropriate to latch the current-sense-state.

Be well and prosper!
DonEM

p.s. Why? I hope the oscillator will reach frequencies over 1 megahertz. The point of the amateur-science experiment is to monitor the variation of the cycle-time of the oscillator, which ring oscillator is inherently noisy. The study will be exactly about decoding information from the 1/f drift frequencies of the inherently randomized ring oscillator. This is a study of how a magnetic environment may affect the noise spectrum for detection of changes in the environment. At best, the oscillation would be influence by changes in the Earth's magnetic field, such as the Shumann resonance, and other stuff influencing the magnetic near field of the coils. Don't worry, I AM NOT a free energy goof-ball. The experiment begins with a category theory analysis technique. Timeline in effect <--before I kick the bucket!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back