Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ir detector does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbunny

well we just built an ir emitter circuit emitting a 38kHz signal. we r confident that works. however the ir detector shows either high or low (when i block the signal with my hand). why does it not show a 38k signal?

help would be apreciated

Assuming you're using an IR receiver IC that's how it's supposed to work, it demodulates the incoming IR and 38KHz carriers, and outputs the original modulation.

However, they are designed for data, not a plain carrier, and using a plain carrier will drastically reduce range.

we have an ic (generating the signal) hooked up to ir emitter. the receiver is just a receiver hooked up to an ociliscope

Like I said, it's working exactly as expected then - if you want an AC output from the receiver you need to modulate the 38KHz in the transmitter - this will also massively improve range.

blackbunny said:
we have an ic (generating the signal) hooked up to ir emitter. the receiver is just a receiver hooked up to an ociliscope
hi,
Is the ic generating the 38KHz carrier signal or is the ic modulating the 38KHz carrier and is the receiver just a detector.

That is, are the 38KHz TX and RX ready built modules or have you made them?

Do you have a diagram to post?

blackbunny said:
well we just built an ir emitter circuit emitting a 38kHz signal. we r confident that works. however the ir detector shows either high or low (when i block the signal with my hand). why does it not show a 38k signal?

help would be apreciated

Very simple concept.. it's this property helps it to use i r as proximity detector...

See.. there are two separate parameters.. 1. range 2. ability to pass through an object (transparency..)...both are independent factors...

*1. first thing you should remember is: if you want to improve the range.. then you are to reduce the duty cycle to 10 %... ( but you dont want this...)...

*2. second thing you should remember is: i am sure ..the ir rays never pass through an opaque object... Sometimes your detector gives high and sometimes low...

Reason 1 : very simple ... light travels at speed of 3,00,000Kms / sec. and hence it might be reflected many times before it reaches detector..

Reason 2 : or your detector might be faulty...

I hope you have used 555 timer...:)

regards..

simran...

Last edited:
use this...

Use tsop 1738 as IR detector.. and that of a good quality from a german co. called VISHAY...

**broken link removed**

:)

any help you need ask...

As Sir Nigel said, 38 kHz signal has to be modulated and and most IR receivers have a maximum of 600uS pulse width modulation, longer than this will not be received.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back