Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

In what capacity are you motivated?

Your interest in electronics?

• It is my current or future profession

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is my current or future hobby

• It is my profession, hobby and borderline obsession!

• I just want to learn to repair / troubleshoot this gizmo

• I have no strong motivation for electronics, just curious

• I have no interest at all and don't know why I read these posts.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Optikon

Hows about some stats on the great members we have on here?
In what capacity are you motivated?

This would be extremely interesting to know... hobbyists vs. students vs. professionals.

oops, I voted for number 3, It's my hobby and I am obsessed with it, but it isnt my profession yet. So do I still count for that catagory? I hope I didnt screw up your data analysis.

Thats the great part about engineering, chances are that your job is also your hobby. So it makes it much better than say a buisness major. Now are EE's better than ME's?

hmmm, I guess i did need to specify my question better...I guess what I meant was are EE's more (creative/challenged/knowledged/interesting) than ME's?

jrz126 said:
hmmm, I guess i did need to specify my question better...I guess what I meant was are EE's more (creative/challenged/knowledged/interesting) than ME's?

I would have to say "not necessarily so." So here goes..
Not necessarily so. :lol:

If I compare my job to say an ME who works on space shuttle rocket system design, I would have to say (in my opinion only) that ME would
certainly be more challenged, and stressed compared to myself.
These are all subjective terms and relative of course.

OTOH, I might consider my job more interesting than say an ME who does gear design. Eye of the beholder kind of thing I guess..

Well, it looks like most users are active in electronics at both a hobby and professional level by a wide margin. In some cases, this leaves little room for much else in ones life. Ha!

Next poll:

"Your significant other is"
1) Not at all happy.
2) What significant other
3) Filing the divorce papers as I write this

Actually, more people know what an ophthalmologist is than there are people who can pronounce it correctly. Most say "opp-tha-mologist". Maybe they can't see how it's spelled and need to see one.

Dean

Dean Huster said:
Actually, more people know what an ophthalmologist is than there are people who can pronounce it correctly. Most say "opp-tha-mologist". Maybe they can't see how it's spelled and need to see one.

Dean
You were probably taught phonetics in school, as was I. Unfortunately, many people weren't.

Well, phonics is just the tip of the iceberg, Ron. I've been around a lot of schools and school systems over the last 20+ years as a teacher, and I can say that overall, schools in the U.S. are quickly deteriorating. As I was leaving Oklahoma seven years ago, schools in the Oklahoma City area were patting themselves on the back for converting over to some kind of a system -- I can't remember their terminology, for I was only introduced to it and discovered that it sucked terribly -- where students have only four courses at a time, two in the morning and two in the afternoon, about 1.5 hours each for the first semester and then four new courses, same way, second semester (at least I think that was the way it worked). They claimed longer class sessions, and more courses of study during a student's educational life, but when you actually put the pencil to the math, they actually spend less time overall per subject and couldn't possibly cover what they used to in the old system. The result was that you were going to have students that knew a little about a lot but not a lot about anything in particular.

Dean

could it have been 4 classes one day and 4 differnet classes the next day, and just alternate between the 2? thats how my highschool was.

Is that significant ?

Optikon said:
Next poll:

"Your significant other is"
1) Not at all happy.
2) What significant other
3) Filing the divorce papers as I write this

My 'significant other' is a soldering iron !
... and my wife knows it !!!

Electronics to me is just another tool that i have learned to use.
It is no more / less fasinating then metal-ury , hydraulics, computer programing ,etc.

I had No strong motivation in electronics, just curious, but as time went by, I got motivated because I had finally found a worthy product that I could put my name on.

I like that you don't have to go to school to learn it.
It is cheap.
You don't nead to rent a factory to get these things built in.
Just send the design out.

Which one do I click in the pole?

i would like to get a job in electronics. ive been told that i should go 2 school for it.

yup, electronics is an obsession. even from an early age, my first word was "ight", for light. and i loved to go to video game places and press all of the buttons. and i was ALWAYS asking my dad how little elctronic gizmos work (he didnt have a clue). and yes, i took everything apart, even tho i didn't have a clue wut i was looking @. i also remember taking apart my walkie talkie and tying a wire from my antenna to the balcony railing in hopes of boosting my range :lol:

I've been into computers mostly, but got into electronics about 5 years ago and have been studying Computer and Electronics Interfacing at college and now Uni for the past 3 years.

It is a hobby and hopefully will be a profession. I'd like to try and combine both my passiosn, computers and electronics and try and go into embedded systems or something like that.

zachtheterrible said:
i would like to get a job in electronics. ive been told that i should go 2 school for it.

yup, electronics is an obsession. even from an early age, my first word was "ight", for light. and i loved to go to video game places and press all of the buttons. and i was ALWAYS asking my dad how little elctronic gizmos work (he didnt have a clue). and yes, i took everything apart, even tho i didn't have a clue wut i was looking @. i also remember taking apart my walkie talkie and tying a wire from my antenna to the balcony railing in hopes of boosting my range :lol:
That's funny. My son's first word was "ite" (for bite). He now moonlights as a vampire. :D

zachtheterrible said:

:D

The "didnt have a clue" part brings back fond memories of trying to charge a 9V battery from a wall socket.. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back