Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'm back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Special dispensation was given to allow guns at the Olympics but the British contestants have to train abroad which is silly. I'm all for some gun control and don't thing any idiot should be allowed to have a gun but banning guns altogether is a completely stupid idea.

As far as the job is concerned: I cracked last Friday and complained to the boss: I said that I felt as though he had deceived me at the job interview. The boss didn't seem to be happy and told me that he didn't want to fall out with me and he'd discuss the situation more in Wednesday (today). Afterwards I realised that I had made a mistake and that I should've taken a deep breath, gone home and thought about things more before talking to the boss. Today I apologised to the boss for accusing him of deliberately deceiving me, even though I didn't feel like it. He wa pretty reasonable anbd said I can work until the end of this week and that it's nothing personal. I offered to work there up until he managed to find a replacement but he declined.

To be fair to the boss, he probably didn't know what I would be doing on a daily basis because he's not there very often. I thought it was a reasonable place to work apart from the fact that I didn't want to pack boxes all day.

Last edited:
Ok, Hero. I've got his phone number and will send him and e-mail if he doesn't respond I'll call him.

Ratheon is another subject I have 2 contacts I can go through I have the main communications number who could direct me. However, I do have a personal contact who is a Mechanical Engineer who I think would be a better one.

Edit: By the way I can't post his e-mail anywhere. So, I will need yours to give to them.

Or do you have a better Idea.

Last edited:
Does the UK still conduct those upper class dog and pony fox hunts like days of old? If so, doesn't that involve guns? Or are the present day dogs now pit bull terriers instead of fox hounds?

No, hunting with dogs was banned five years ago.

I've sent kv a PM.

No, hunting with dogs was banned five years ago.

I've sent kv a PM.

I have it.

I'm hoping I will get more information on Ratheon next week the person with the contact I see every day so, I don't think they will dilly dally they have contact I want.

Ernie, has not responded yet. But, if you knew just how busy is or whether he's even in town can explain it.

I'm sure it will take a phone call in the end. He knows he can only put me off for so long.

Even if he doesn't have anything. I will suggest in light of new events Britain the Company could move in a ripe market.

The acting Owner might listen. For that you need someone on the ground.

kv

I used to work at Lockheed Martin (a defence company) and have been unemployed for six months after taking voluntary redundancy, I thought I had another job offer but that fell through.

I now work at a company which makes valves (the mechanical type :D). It's longer hours for less pay and I'm not using my qualifications and experience but it does seem like a better place to work, although it's too early to really say because I've only worked one day.

I don't want to give too much information about my current employer in case I moan about them in futures. :D

To be honest after seeing the cold in stocking thread by Sceadwian, I'm in two minds whether to carry on posting here but I'll see how it goes.

Well so much for what little i know of electronics and my enthusiam for photography along with my experience in offset printing: I'm now a very unqualified quality inspector (and we do have defence contracts), you never ever know what you may end up in and what you may come to enjoy as a job, I don't like the way my comapny works and the miserable cxxts I work with but quality is a profession i would probably be ok with being in as a carrer ! take it as it comes mate, the best learning is learning on the job, never mind those useless bits of paper saying you got x at some stupid exam.

oh and - Welcome back

The trouble is I don't know what I want. I know it sounds sad but at the moment nothing makes me happier than posting here but I know that if I spend too much of my life on the Internet I'll ruin my life so I've got to get the balance right.

Anyway, the job isn't going very well. It turns out that they deceived my at the interview. I was told that the job was for an electrical tester but it's turned out I'm a store man, who's expected to spend all day packing valves and actuators in boxes, which I could've done at the age of 16 with no qualifications. They did tell me that I might have to help out in the store, but they didn't say it''s where they expected me to spend most of my time.

Over the last week I've only tested one valve and it took me five minutes to determine that the motor had burnt out, there was a phase connected to the metal case and the earth terminal had been removed. This was probably the customer's fault for not connecting the limit switches, so the motor got jammed and over heated. I'm surprised no one was electrocuted because with phase connected to the case, which should've been earthed, the metal case would have been floating at 230VAC.

At first, I thought I would only be in the store for the first week and my role would become more fulfilling from then on but I was wrong. I confronted my manager and he supported me, he agreed that the managing director hadn't told me the truth that the role is 1% electrical and 99% stores and I didn't need any qualifications to do it. I was hoping for a pay rise at some stage, but it turns out my manager wasn't on much more than I (in fact it was less than what I was earning at my previous job) and he had already been refused a pay rise. Obviously he told me not to tell the managing director or anyone else about the conversation we'd had, at the moment no one else there knows how I feel and I'm not telling them either.

I'm thinking about quitting but I think I'll wait until I find another job, besides a job is a job and it is good money for a store man.

Hang in there: I started as an emergency pressure tester due to an unexpected high volume of returns, they go rid of me when the contract was terminated (with the faulty gear) and then actually wantwed me back as a trainee quality inspector. doing some dirty work sometimes paves the way to a better place, and hey take it from me you will get well fed up with testing soon I do have to say: been there - done that, all good things take time

I've done testing before and it depends on the type of testing, as far as I'm concerned there're are two different types:

Retard's testing: just following a procedure and filling in a form.

Real testing: following a test specification and investigate any faults to find out what caused them.

I'd probably get bored of retard's testing pretty quickly but I always find investigative testing and fault finding interesting and challenging.

It's a bit too late now I've finished working there. In retrospect I should've not said anything to the MD and waited until I found a better job but never mine, we live and learn.

oh dear, well if you don't like retards testing (the sort that people where I work can just about handle) and you want to be assured fault finding work then you need to get into quality, most quality inspectors (ie any except where I work) are not only qualified in quality but the industry they work in.

At the minute employers are looking for willing workers that will give anything a go not people that are going to be picky, and I'm a living example of that, I don't get paid any more than the assemblers as I'm "learning" (ie getting on with it using my common sense and getting more done than the "qualified" guy before me) but its far more fun as I'm not doing the same old operation day in day out, it can get hectic though and there are times when its just useless form filling, I'm afraid a job is exactly that: something you must do in order to live and and get on but no it won't always be fun. If your in design then yea you might get paid more but yea the stress might be higher, I'm afraid more stress= more pay most of the time.

After I got out of the Navy as a tech some 25 yrs ago, my first job was that of factory re-work assembler. I thought it sucked but did my job anyways., after some time, I would get sick of reworking the same board (Same Serial #) over and over again.

At one point I began walking over to the tech area asking the tech what his problem was, after a little berating by me I began to help the techs troubleshoot their problem, I guess this was spotted, and soon after I was promoted to a factory tech. It was not long after that I was made supervisor, and shortly after that moved to engineering. Good times... Point is, you can start at the bottom, but only way to go from there is up. :)

Last edited:
I don't mind doing a dead end job for a short period of time and I accept that a job is a job and isn't ment to be fun. What really annoyed my about this place is that they told me I was going to be doing one job and it turned out I was actually doing another. Had they just been honest with me from day one, I would probably be still there.

Last edited:
any employer will prefer to employ someone in work rather than someone out of work or that obviously does not last long in jobs, All comapnies will have a policy that you have to agree to to do other duties that you are capable of. some of mine included changing the toilet system (always fun to play with water and contrary to most peoples assumption it was a very clean job), painting out cubicle/office, changing lightbulbs and helping out in the machine shop (great fun - in fact I voluntered)

good luck in finding another job

I know, they did tell me that I was going to have to do some store work but they said it was only a small part of the job not a major part of it.

There is a limit to what they can get you to do and for how long. For example if the job description says administrative assistant and you end up cleaning toilets for weeks on end then you have a right to complain but if you only clean the odd toilet here and there you don't.

Anyway, I've learned a lesson, if I end up doing a job I don't like, I'll stick it out and keep my mouth shut until I find a better one, unless the stress is so bad it's damaging my health.

I suppose one of the reasons I cracked so quickly is because I don't really need the money. Being out of work is also an advantage because I'm available for work immediately, someone who already has a job will have to work a notice period, typically a month.

It's no problem, the MD forgave me for having a go at him and is willing to give me a basic reference saying I worked there as a temporary casual laborer for two weeks so it looks better CV wise.

oh dear, you really don't see it do you. you don't need the money ? the stress of doing a store mans job may damage your health ? comon get a grip. why not try agency work ? its also a good way of getting into a permanent job as you start temporary move on if you don't get on and when you find something you like they may keep you.

oh dear, you really don't see it do you. you don't need the money ? the stress of doing a store mans job may damage your health ? comon get a grip.
You've obviously not read my posts properly - I didn't say that.

I'm not going to bother replying until you bother to read what I've written.

I don't see any problem with someone leaving a business if they have honest reasons to feel that they where mislead during the hiring and interview process.
Sadly many companies seem to find that to be acceptable behavior and assume that whomever they hire is of limited financial resources so once they are there they wont leave because they cant afford or risk to be out of a job again.

I can somewhat relate to Hero's situation being I have had a few short term work experiences where I was promised good starting pay decent hours and quick promotions during the interview. But once I was hired I was given a starting wage that was less than half what they said it would be in the interview and there was zero chance of going anywhere in terms of position advancement. Plus being single they assumed I wouldn't mind being there 12 - 15 hours a day 6 days a week. Those companies also had incredibly high employee turnover rates as well and didn't seem understand why.

Plus being single they assumed I wouldn't mind being there 12 - 15 hours a day 6 days a week. Those companies also had incredibly high employee turnover rates as well and didn't seem understand why.

For younger people I think big company's will do this on a regular basis. I had one of my friends take a programming job. 5 years later, I could hardly recognize him. He looked as if he was 20 years older?

His Dad said he was under the Gun night and day trying to prove himself to his bosses. I have no idea what happened to him since then but, the transformation was incredible. Yes, he was making above 50k a year but was it really worth it.

I call that exploitation to the Tenth Degree. Meanwhile, you have those corporate bastards making 500k who crack the whip and gremlins to do their bidding without mercy they go around biting the tails of New hires with vigor. Once they have used up their creativity they will throw the empty sack to the side and begin seeking fresh meat.

And the process starts over again.

That is where I can fully agree with the dropping a job because of physical or mental health related concerns.
When you reach the point where you hate yourself for going to work for any number of reasons its time to walk away. Or if it becomes clear early on in your employment that you where greatly mislead into working there. If they lie and deceive employees from day one it only gets worse later on.

Sticking with a job through a rough time is honorable but staying there while your health suffers for someone else's profit and benefit is not right especially if your health is suffering due to poor planning and management or dishonesty and unrealistic expectations of someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back