Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I survived

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPDCHK

I know this is not generally the type of thing that you would expect to find on an Electronic forum, but I’ve been part of this community for quite a while now and I consider the support given by the members on all the aspects raised here very comforting.

On Sunday night (14-Feb-2010) at about 21H15, two attackers gained access to my house after hijacking my wife when she went to one of the 24hour convenient stores. The attacked me and I received multiple stab wounds to the neck and upper torso. Me and my son managed to fight them off and as they fled we managed to alert and get help from our neighbors.

The Police and paramedici was on the scene, in what felt like to me to be less than 5 minutes. The two suspects were found in the area and arrested. The case is being investigated.

I spent a total of two days in hospital, of which one day was in ICU. I was discharged yesterday afternoon and I am now recuperating at home. My wife is still in hospital being treated for shock and stress related issues.

I was just in another forum and I seen this. I am Shocked at what happened.

How are your kids doing over this.

No one should go through this.

Last edited:
Man that is brutal. Good thing you all survived OK. Hopefully justice is served and those punks get what's coming to them.

It must have been really terrifying. I wish you and your family a speedy recovery.

Mike.

That is truly horrifying. I'm glad everyone survived, but appalled that it happened. Get well soon and may the memories fade quickly. Life's too short to have to deal with that kind of thing.

Torben

No words I say could comfort you in this trying time you and your family are going through, but it may comfort you in some small way to consider that you and your son showed great courage in fighting these slimy worms off. I commend you for that. The wounds to the neck could have been much worse as I am sure you are well aware of, thank goodness you lived to tell about it. I wish you and your wife the best in recovery. You should be very proud of your son, sounds like he turned into a good man.

My regrets about this incident, but also I am glad all survived to live another day. Whew, scary.

Last edited:
Thank you all.

I think what counted in our favor was the fact that these two guys were either high on drugs on just plain drunk. The knife only had a 3" blade. I think any other knife would have caused far more damage.

They clearly did try to cut the jugular vein. The closest stab wound is less than one inch from the main vain. The one stab wound on my right hand side punctured my lung. It was for this reason that I stayed in ICU for the one night. All the other stab wounds were luckily less than an inch deep, so no major arteries or veins were cut.

And YES, I’m extremely proud of my son. Once he saw that I stated fighting, nothing could stop him. He started hitting left-right and cente.

In South Africa we are taught that when something like this happens, you don’t argue with these people. You co-operate and give them what they want. This was clearly not one of those cases because they did not even demand anything. They gunned for me and started stabbing. I went through two rounds of stabbing before I realized that I’m not dead yet, and these guys are clearly not up for the job. It was then that I kicked my attacker (the one with the knife) with so much force that I flung him against the wall. I then grabbed him and fought to disarm him. This was when my son saw that the gloves are off and now it’s time to fight to survive or be killed.
Our fighting clearly confused and frightened them. This was when they decided to get the hell out of dodge.

Attachments

• Jacques01..jpg
    Jacques01..jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 311
  • Jacques03..jpg
    Jacques03..jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 314
  • Jacques02..jpg
    Jacques02..jpg
    84 KB · Views: 325
  • Sean01..jpg
    Sean01..jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 325
Wow, you have my highest admiration. That was a courageous thing to do. I hope that if I ever get into a situation like that then I would have your courage.

Mike.

Wow!
I can't say anything that hasn't already been said above.
Just glad that you are all still here and on the mend, I wish you and your family all the best.

They had knives and you fought them off!

Now, no one in your neighbourhood will dare to pick a fight with you or your son.

I hope you get well soon.

Is this kind of thing common in South Africa?

Is this kind of thing common in South Africa?

Unfortunately YES. This is a daily occurrence in South Africa.

Yesterday I happen to have a chat with my black neighbor and we were comparing stories. This man originally coming from what we refer to as “Black Townships” (Globally I think it would be referred to as “The slumps”) told me stories of crime, hi-jacking, murder that would make any CSI TV show look like a grade 1 kinder party.

I am glad you survived the attack. Were they crazy? Normal people don't attack like that.

Still you're able to post in the forum after the left lung got punctured eh?! That is truly unbelievable.

At that particular moment, I think what you've done is almost every human being will do. do-or-die or death-or-glory.

(I can't survive anymore after seeing a 1/2" knife even..err..that's another point of matter..well;))

Dewani murder case

With the latest happenings (regarding Shrien Dewani and the murder of his wife in South Africa) that reminded me to update my originally started post.

After some police investigation, it turned out that my own wife (according to one of the suspects that was caught) was the mastermind behind the attack. The case is still sub-judice so I’m not allowed to say much, other than that that was published in the local newspapers. (See attachment)

Since the incident there were numerous court appearances. I testified last week, and have to go back again next year January. All other witnesses will only testify middle of next year, because the courts are overloaded with criminal cases. I’d hope that the case to be resolved by the end of this year, but alas. Perhaps this time next year?

Attachments

• Krugersdorp news.JPG
    Krugersdorp news.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 302
I'm flabbergasted! Odd this thread should re-surface, as I was just thinking about it yeaterday.

You should seriously look into getting a gun license. I don't know what the SA gun laws are like, but you need to arm yourself.

When people like this strike..."Taking one for the team" so that the police *might* catch the criminals is unacceptable. You need to be more proactive in defending your life and property.

If you and your family were armed, things would have ended much better. I wish you and your family all the best with recovery.

Once again, I strongly suggest getting a short barrel 870 shotgun for home defense, and some sort of dog as primary warning and defense. I'd suggest a German Shepard, for their intelligence and weariness of strangers.

With the latest happenings (regarding Shrien Dewani and the murder of his wife in South Africa) that reminded me to update my originally started post.

After some police investigation, it turned out that my own wife (according to one of the suspects that was caught) was the mastermind behind the attack. The case is still sub-judice so I’m not allowed to say much, other than that that was published in the local newspapers. (See attachment)

Since the incident there were numerous court appearances. I testified last week, and have to go back again next year January. All other witnesses will only testify middle of next year, because the courts are overloaded with criminal cases. I’d hope that the case to be resolved by the end of this year, but alas. Perhaps this time next year?

Wow.

Just. . .wow.

Condolences, for everything.

Torben

Circuit Curious,
The firearm aids only when you are near it and able to grab it in time. He could've been attacked elsewhere and still would have to defend himself with whatever is at hand.

SPDCHK
This outcome is a complete shocker to me as I'm sure it was to both you and your son. This is a tragedy that I pray you and your son remain strong together through. There are many disheartening issues at hand from her ill-willed actions. It is my wish that good luck and better fortune are to come to you and your son after being unduly roped and dragged through such a grueling experience. Stay strong, the both of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back