Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I love being Canadian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter_wadley

I am so incredibly happy to live in my nice safe country of Canada right now!

Amongst all this coverage on Virginia tech I am so happy I live in Canada.

Right now, as I type this, CNN is covering a live man hunt for a potiential California gunmen.. all schools are in lock down!

America is so volatile right now!

Full of gun crazies in my opinion.. guns kill people - the 2nd amendment is one of the dumbest laws ever made.

A country which is guided by a God that does not exist is useless.

Sorry for this rant but I am so sick of seeing all this unneeded bloodshed in the name of God.

I fully believe anyone who believes in any religion is a damn idiot.

and If need to explain why then you most likely fall into that category.

Blame Canada?

no,

Blame America .

Peter_wadley,
I hope you're wearing a asbestos jacket.

Whew, I'm glad someone's sticking it out there to take the heat off me. Seriously though, brother, I think you'll find you're not alone in your sentiment on some of those points, although your tact in rhetoric perhaps leaves something to be desired. Still, there's a freshness and immediacy to the frank opinions of younger people - I think it's safe to say no one's going to waste anytime asking you to express how you really feel.

Nonetheless, you can't define what you are simply in contrast to something else, despite my comparisons in another thread between Canada and the U.S. You have to have a good sense of the intrinsic worth of your own interests, and that in themselves they are of value to you, and in light of necessity be prepared to change them to best accommodate your extrinsic environment.

Where exactly did religion come into the story?
You'd have to spend some time in the U.S. to entirely appeciate this. I know religion is supposed to be taboo (and other than this post, I'm avoiding it at all costs) on this forum, but it's hard to discuss anything about the U.S. without it coming up somehow, since religion is a big part of U.S. history and culture. People take it pretty seriously down there since escaping religious persecution was a big part of the initial reasons people settled in the U.S. It's amazing how much inertia the founding principles of a nation can be. The U.S. got religion, Canada got big business.

I blame the media and people who think they are ninjas and if I need to explain why then you most likely fall into that category. :rolleyes:

And so begins the Patriotic Backlash ;)

What I have said in the first post is strictly opinion based.. do not view it as a personal attack on America..

Where exactly did religion come into the story?

God Bless America.

I blame the media and people who think they are ninjas and if I need to explain why then you most likely fall into that category.

What would be so absurd about believing you are a ninja when people believe some man in a white robe with a full white beard sits atop the clouds watching our everymove? Making people out of clay? Making virgins pregnant?

Yeah, but Ninjas are TOTALLY SWEET. They flip out and cut off people's heads ALL THE TIME. They can also commit seppuku with a buttered frisbee.

Peter_wadley said:
And so begins the Patriotic Backlash ;)

Care to elaborate. :confused:

Do you think it is normal to think you are a ninja? Whoops, just realised, you might actually be a ninja. If so, I apologies.

Or Better Yet.

Care to elaborate.

pa·tri·ot·ism (pā'trē-ə-tĭz'əm):

Love of and devotion to one's country.

Therefore, the threatening and pushy replies i.e. Backlash are beginning / have begun, which are fueled by the love and devotion of one's country i.e. American Patriotism... or in your case, pommie, fueled by the love and devotion to one's Allie country.

Isn't Athiesm a religion in itself?

a·the·ism (ā'thē-ĭz'əm)
n.
Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.
The doctrine that there is no God or gods.

Athiesm is ANTI-religion

I didnt realize religion is such a touchy subject with people.. especially in this forum being that electronics/physics is highly logic intensive.. something religon has none of.

Last edited:
Just read what I posted and I can't find anywhere that I displayed "Love of and devotion to" any country.

I simply asked what religion had to do with the events in America.

Peter_wadley said:
I am so incredibly happy to live in my nice safe country of Canada right now!

Amongst all this coverage on Virginia tech I am so happy I live in Canada.

Right now, as I type this, CNN is covering a live man hunt for a potiential California gunmen.. all schools are in lock down!

America is so volatile right now!

Full of gun crazies in my opinion.. guns kill people - the 2nd amendment is one of the dumbest laws ever made.

A country which is guided by a God that does not exist is useless.

Sorry for this rant but I am so sick of seeing all this unneeded bloodshed in the name of God.

I fully believe anyone who believes in any religion is a damn idiot.

and If need to explain why then you most likely fall into that category.

Blame Canada?

no,

Blame America .

Didn't somebody do some shooting at a Canadian campus not too long ago, Montreal? I don't own any guns myself, but support the right to own them. Not quite as bad as homemade bombs, poisons, or biologicals. If some nut case foriegner wants to hurt a bunch of people, there are other choices. If everone was allowed/encouraged to carry a weapon openly, I'd think there would be less usage, or reduced body counts.

There is no perfect government, depends on what you want, and what you can tolerate. America's problem is that too many laws are being made, the process is too simple, and its a well paying carreer for too many. We'd get better quality if the pay was just average houshold income.

Religion isn't a bad thing of it's own, a philosophy to build a better society. Some take it too literally, others twist it around for profit, most use it as an excuse for laziness. I was in school before they started removing all bible related materials, seemed like we had a lot less trouble in those day, certainly less senseless trageties like at Virginia Tech.

Counter to what you may have been hearing or reading this is not about guns. Anyone as deluded as this kid was can find several ways to kill lots of people. Fertilizer and propane come to mind, I am sure there are many more.

It is also not about politics.

Its about "Nobody Love Me". In an effort to be good to the kids parents have turned them into spoiled brats with no concept of what it is like to live in the world. They are spoiled, pampered, and cattered to a degree that would have been unthinkable 30 or 40 years ago.

I am not sure what it is like elsewhere but in the US parents spend their days hauling the kiddies from one place to another. Children think and know the world revolves around them. Living in the real world is a difficult transation.

HarveyH42 said:
Didn't somebody do some shooting at a Canadian campus not too long ago, Montreal? I don't own any guns myself, but support the right to own them. Not quite as bad as homemade bombs, poisons, or biologicals. If some nut case foriegner wants to hurt a bunch of people, there are other choices. If everone was allowed/encouraged to carry a weapon openly, I'd think there would be less usage, or reduced body counts.

There is no perfect government, depends on what you want, and what you can tolerate. America's problem is that too many laws are being made, the process is too simple, and its a well paying carreer for too many. We'd get better quality if the pay was just average houshold income.

Religion isn't a bad thing of it's own, a philosophy to build a better society. Some take it too literally, others twist it around for profit, most use it as an excuse for laziness. I was in school before they started removing all bible related materials, seemed like we had a lot less trouble in those day, certainly less senseless trageties like at Virginia Tech.

I agree with you on everything except

'If everone was allowed/encouraged to carry a weapon openly...'

Come on now.. please rethink what life would be like if anyone with a clean record could legally carry a gun.. cho [the VT shooter] had a clean record until monday...

I also apprietiate that you have taken the time to actually share your opinion rather then make an attack on me.

I was in school before they started removing all bible related materials, seemed like we had a lot less trouble in those day, certainly less senseless trageties like at Virginia Tech.
You should have spent more time on current events and U.S. history rather than bible study. I can't think of a year in U.S. history that was less tragic than this one. I guess that's one way of saying things are moving in a good direction?

Peter_wadley said:
I also apprietiate that you have taken the time to actually share your opinion rather then make an attack on me.

I cannot see where any personal attacks have been aimed at you. I have asked you two questions, neither of which you have answered.

I'll ask 1 more question, are you paranoid?

Peter_wadley said:
I agree with you on everything except

'If everone was allowed/encouraged to carry a weapon openly...'

Come on now.. please rethink what life would be like if anyone with a clean record could legally carry a gun.. cho [the VT shooter] had a clean record until monday...

Yes, but if many of the students and faculty were armed, think there would have been 32 dead and 15 wounded? Would these people even consider doing this in the first place, knowing they might not even get off one shot, if somebody sees them with their gun in hand first? Won't stop it, but it'll reduce the damage done. Prohibition has never worked in any society, just encourages other less desirable activities.

I don't generally attack people for having an opinion, it's one of the great things about being an American, free-speech...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back