Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How Does This Current Sensor Close its switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly is the "sensor switch"? Is it two wire holes?
What exactly is the "sensor switch
The white socket.
20210724_181923.jpg

just need to know how to complete the switch E-Tech. this setup is cost effective too.

The white socket.

If the switch is the white connector, then when closed, it shorts to ground. And seeing that its on a separate PCB makes me think it may be some distance away from the CT circuit. So...you would remove R2, and maybe C1, then connect Q1 Drain to a relay -coil then relay +coil to +12. Connect a deenergized relay contact to your switch sensor "connector". When the mosfet turns on, the relay should energize and close the contact.

Just a reminder...
1. This is an untested circuit.
2. As other members have stated, YOU will be working with DANGEROUS VOLTAGE LEVELS (levels that could even be Fatal if mishandled). Take every precaution for safety and stay on high alert!

If the switch is the white connector, then when closed, it shorts to ground.
yes it does. Ive got a few signal switching relays left that are polarity sensitive so ive used them in this circuit.
here is the modified circuit. just give it your approval. And i will be careful.
Note the 2n7002 ive located is an SMD type 7.5 Ohm 115ma 60v. The Relay is a NA-12 W-K PDF Datasheet
CT-DESIGN04a.png

Last edited:
How does the CT circuit effect the workshop circuit??

Your schematic #109 has a few errors:
1. You have the +5v connection wrong. +V (+5) should only connect to the + side of the relay coil.
2. +5V for the relay (you can use 12v if you want to use a 12v relay) will need to come from your DC power supply.
3. There should be a 1N4004 (minimum) across the relay coil. Cathode to +coil, Anode to -coil.
4. The DC ground connection needs to be the same DC power supply ground used for the workshop circuit.

I think the above errors is what RonS was referring to...

Anyway, with the noted corrections it shouldn't affect the workshop circuit at all except to open/shunt the sensor switch connector pins via the relay.

Last edited:
OK. I believe i have this correct now.
Added (4148) across the coil of the relay
Used ground from Workshop circuit. It comes in from SW1 pin 1
Re-routed 12v to connect to just the positive side of relay coil (NA-12WK)
12v supply from SW2 pin1 of workshop circuit
CT-DESIGN04b.png

--------------------------------------------
All components will be on a custom made board to fit this box.
The CT will protrude from the box on the other side of the circuit board
low voltage connections will be supplied to box via 3 pin plug from workshop circuit
Distance from each box is apx 5 inches. they are completely isolated from one another
20210725_102113.jpg

Here is schematic

1627223659089.png

Simulation Results:

.step rl=12
.step rl=13
.step rl=14
.step rl=15
.step rl=16

Measurement: irms
step RMS(i(rlac))
1 9.9596 0 2
2 9.19328 0 2
3 8.55165 0 2
4 7.97648 0 2
5 7.47549 0 2

Measurement: led
step i(led)
1 0.0212006
2 0.0212007
3 0.0212014
4 1.06739e-008 <---LED off
5 1.06741e-008 <---LED off

The simulation shows the LED turns off when the AC line current falls below ~8.5 Amps.
But this is only a simulation. You'll need to test,tune, repeat, until the desired results are obtained.

Last edited:
OK. I believe i have this correct now.
Added (4148) across the coil of the relay
Used ground from Workshop circuit. It comes in from SW1 pin 1
Re-routed 12v to connect to just the positive side of relay coil (NA-12WK)
12v supply from SW2 pin1 of workshop circuit
View attachment 132686
--------------------------------------------
All components will be on a custom made board to fit this box.
The CT will protrude from the box on the other side of the circuit board
low voltage connections will be supplied to box via 3 pin plug from workshop circuit
Distance from each box is apx 5 inches. they are completely isolated from one another
View attachment 132682

Will there be any AC line voltages inside the box?

The simulation shows the LED turns off when the AC line current falls below ~8.5 Amps.
But this is only a simulation. You'll need to test,tune, repeat, until the desired results are obtained.
Can you tell me if I connected the 250k Pot correctly? Best to see in the PCB. Copper pours will take care of the dangling grounds
Ive attached the SCH and top n bottom 3D renders. You can see the CT is opposite of the components. The PCB will be contained in a box and only the CT, LED, and 3 pin plug will be exposed.
C2 is a bi-polar cap 22uF 16V Radial Tantalum Capacitor

CT-DESIGN04b1 PCB.png

Attachments

• CT-DESIGN04b1.png
    CT-DESIGN04b1.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 189
  • CT-DESIGN04b 3D FRNT.png
    CT-DESIGN04b 3D FRNT.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 188
  • CT-DESIGN04b 3D BACK.png
    CT-DESIGN04b 3D BACK.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 191
Can you tell me if I connected the 250k Pot correctly? Best to see in the PCB. Copper pours will take care of the dangling grounds
Ive attached the SCH and top n bottom 3D renders. You can see the CT is opposite of the components. The PCB will be contained in a box and only the CT, LED, and 3 pin plug will be exposed.
C2 is a bi-polar cap 22uF 16V Radial Tantalum Capacitor

View attachment 132697

If U1-pin 2 is the wiper then it looks correct.

On C2, you might want to put a + symbol next to the positive pin so it doesnt get installed backwards (and cause a firecracker sound when powered on :D ).

BTW - If your using Designspark PCB...you can design your own 3D printed box with Designspark Mechanical and pass the 3D PCB from DSPCB to DSM. I did this for my last project. Had the box 3D printed and the box came out nice. I didn't have to cut or drill any holes, etc. Took a couple of weeks to learn the software though and a couple of scapped printed boxes to get it right...but it was worth it. Now its easy....

If U1-pin 2 is the wiper then it looks correct.
OK In other projects i connect the wiper (2) to 1 or 3 This setup is different.
Trimmer Connection.png

On C2, you might want to put a + symbol next to the positive pin so it doesnt get installed backwards (and cause a firecracker sound when powered on :D ).
i thought these caps did not have a polarity? Im using ( bi-polar cap 22uF 16V Radial Tantalum Capacitor ) I will add the values though.
Screenshot 2021-07-25 at 21-31-21 22uF 16V Radial Tantalum Capacitor.png

If your using Designspark PCB...you can design your own 3D printed box with Designspark Mechanical and pass the 3D PCB from DSPCB to DSM. I did this for my last project. Had the box 3D printed and the box came out nice. I didn't have to cut or drill any holes, etc. Took a couple of weeks to learn the software though and a couple of scapped printed boxes to get it right...but it was worth it. Now its easy....
So I can make my own enclosures? Now thats cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back